Author Topic: Some info about the new BR3D-12U3 Blu-ray writer  (Read 6687 times)

HiddenUser

• Calf
Some info about the new BR3D-12U3 Blu-ray writer
« on: September 09, 2010, 03:46:36 PM »

Hello,

I'm thinking about buying this product, but I would like to know some things first.

1) Does this drive support the "overburn" feature? That is, burn a disc with a faster speed than the advertised for the media. If not, is this feature planned for future firmware updates?

2) Is this drive a re-branded model, such as a Pioneer, LG or Matshi_ta (Panasonic)?

3) Also I'm planning to use this drive to play movies on my HDTV together with a powerful laptop equipped with 2 USB 3.0 ports. What about the operating noise of the drive when playing discs?

Thank you in advance.

Regards

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: Some info about the new BR3D-12U3 Blu-ray writer
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »

Hello HiddenUser

Answers:

1) Yes, it can burn at higher rates

2) Buffalotech does not make the internal ODD and we don't advertise which model is used as it is subject to change during the life of this product.

3) We don't have a decibel rating on this unit, but it's probably similiar to the noise level of the fan in an average notebook

*You should run the Cyberlink utility to verify your notebook graphics will support BluRay, prior to purchasing a BluRay unit. You can download the utility from Cyber link website.

HiddenUser

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:25:09 PM »

I'm pleased with your fast response :)

1) Yes, it can burn at higher rates

Can you elaborate this info? For some BD-R and DVD-+R media you know this unit is able to overburn (for example, "4x BD-Rs from X brand can be overburnt at 6x").

2) Buffalotech does not make the internal ODD and we don't advertise which model is used as it is subject to change during the life of this product.

Ok, which is the frequency do you release firmware updates?

*You should run the Cyberlink utility to verify your notebook graphics will support BluRay, prior to purchasing a BluRay unit. You can download the utility from Cyber link website.

Yes, I'm pretty sure my laptop will support it without problems. The graphics adapter is the new ATi FirePro M7820 (a professional card), based on the Mobility Radeon 5870, with a DisplayPort 1.1a output (HDMI compatible).

Thank you again indeed :manhappy:

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 05:06:50 PM »

Thank you - We try to answer quickly.

1) working on this

2) FW updates are governed by a variety of factors, such as how often the OEM puts out an update, whether that update is fixing a bug, or adding originally unadvertised features, how many customers are requesting a FW update (and whether the requests are for the same bug/feature), etc.

3) It won't hurt to download and try the app, just to be 100% sure. It's free.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 05:32:08 PM »

more on number one.

We tested the Panasonic BD-R 6x (25GB) DL media set to burn at 12x.

Using a high performance i7 processor we achieved a measured result of

Actual measured performance was 7.6x without Turbo USB

Actual measured performance was 7.8x with Turbo USB

HiddenUser

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 06:24:44 PM »

Wow! Great support here! :) I'm almost convinced to buy the drive :D

Can you explain what is 'TurboUSB'? My next notebook will have a i7-840QM processor (do you think I'll achieve the 'TurboUSB' level with that CPU?)

Thank you very much :smileywink:

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 10:40:43 AM »

Thank you for the questions.

TurboUSB is an application designed to optomize data transfer over the USB bus. The main criteria for TurboUSB is that you have a working USB 2.0 or 3.0 port, not the CPU (although faster CPU is better and i7 is a fantastic CPU)

HiddenUser

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »

Is this application (TurboUSB) contained in the drive bundle?

Also, do you think that with my i7 processor I will be able to do overburns like the you've posted before? For your information, with TurboBoost enabled, this CPU runs at 2.0Ghz with all 4 cores enabled, 2.93GHz with only 2 cores and 3.2GHz with only 1 core.

Thank you again.

drmemory

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:30:57 AM »

TurboUSB comes with the bundle.

I can't speculate on whether your system can or can't do overburns.

biken-home

• Calf
Question about the new BR3D-12U3 Blu-ray writer
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2013, 10:30:08 PM »

I have been using this drive with Roxio Toast Titanium Pro on a MacBook Pro with SnowLeopard OS (10.8.2) for the past year - but recently Toast prompted me to 'Update' which I did.  Now I get error messages ('medium error') when trying to write to the drive.  Any idea what has happened?