Author Topic: BR3D-12U3 and IFC-PCIE2U3 Not Working Together  (Read 5250 times)

bdefranza

• Calf
BR3D-12U3 and IFC-PCIE2U3 Not Working Together
« on: August 09, 2010, 09:16:22 AM »

Greetings:

I have serched the forums using the two product ID's in the subject and have come up empty, so I will post this here.

I have recently purchased a BR3D-12U3. I have installed the CyberLink Media Suite software that came with the product. It works fine when connected to a USB 2.0 port, and my system didn't have a USB 3.0 port. Yesterday I bought & installed a Buffalo IFC-PCIE2U3 for USB 3.0. I have loaded the drivers for that card and in Device Manager the following devices are installed: "NEC Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller" & "NEC Electronics USB 3.0 Root Hub" with no question or exclamation marks. However that new interface card doesn't recognize the BR3D-12U3. When I plug the 3.0 USB cable that came with the BD drive into either of the two USB 3.0 ports, the blue LED on the front of the drive flashes 5 or 6 times and then stops, but the green LED near the back of the BD drive never lights up like it does when connected to a USB 2.0 port. The BD drive does not show up in Windows "Devices and Removable Storage" like it does when connected to a USB 2.0 port. If I connect a USB 2.0 thumb drive to the IFC-PCIE2U3, the thumb drive is accessible and appears to work fine. For some reason the two Buffalo products hooked together don't work.  I don't have any other USB 3.0 devices that I can plug in and try, and I don't have any other computers that have USB 3.0 ports where I can plug in this BD drive.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Is there a fix for this? Running Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on a  Q9550 Quad core, GA-EX38T-DQ6, 4GB RAM, 850W Antec PS, XFX HD 5850 Black Edition video, Intel X-25 160MB SSD

Thanks in advance......

Dustrega

• Big Bull
Re: BR3D-12U3 and IFC-PCIE2U3 Not Working Together
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »

I would recommend exchanging it with the retailer.  If the device is having issue switching over to USB 3.0 but no issue with a 2.0 port it sounds like the device is at fault.

bdefranza

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »

Thanks for replying.  So you're thinking its the BD drive and not the USB 3.0 card and I should return the drive?  I didn't mention and I don't know it it't relevant, but I get an Info balloon near the system tray whenever I plug the BD drive into a USB 2.0 interface that says: "This device can perform faster.  This USB Mass Storage Device (TurboUSB) can transfer faster if you connect it to a Super-Speed USB 3.0 port.".  So there is something, either the drive or the OS, that recognizes the drive's USB 3.0 capability.  Only problem is, when I try to do what it informs me, it doesn't work.

This drive is so new it has a firmware revision of E00.  It just became available in June.  Might be buggy.  That's what I get for early adoption, I get to be the extended beta tester.  LOL!

I think I need to see if I can get my coworker's USB 3.0 netbook to talk to this drive and/or find another USB 3.0 device.  Then I think I'll have it narrowed down.

Thanks.

bdefranza

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 04:44:36 PM »

Found out some more info today.  Hooked the BD drive to a system that supports USB 3.0 (a Gigabyte mobo with an NEC USB 3.0 chipset) and the drive is now recognized by the USB 3.0 ports.  In fact, the LED at the back of the BD drive is blue now.  So it looks like blue=USB3, green=USB2 and not lit=broke, which is where I was with the IFC-PCIE2U3.  Still would like to know why that interface is not working as a USB 3.0.

Thanks

CapnSmith

• Buffalo
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 02:06:47 PM »

When you connected the BD drive to the USB 3.0 system, did you use the USB 3.0 cable that came with the drive, or another one?

Dustrega's diagnosis is most likely correct, but if you connected the BD drive to another PC and it works as it should, then I believe it is the interface card at fault rather than the drive.

Do you have any other USB 3.0 devices that you can test with the interface card?

USBBrian

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 08:34:41 PM »
I am having the exact same issue. However my external drive is a Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB 3.0. Drivers are installed correctly and show up in device manager with no issues. External drive is recognized and will work when plugged into a 2.0 USB port. A Thumb drive will work when plugged into the IFC-PCIE2U3 3.0 port. However the External drive is not recognized and does not work when plugged into the IFC-PCIE2U3 3.0 port. I am using Windows 7, Core i7-2600 (Sandy Bridge). Hope someone can figure this out.