Author Topic: Ram is dieing...  (Read 9072 times)

Rincheese

• Calf
Ram is dieing...
« on: February 02, 2009, 07:00:20 PM »

Ok so i got 2x 1gb sticks of FSX1000D2C-1G its PC-8000,

I'm not sure if i should rma but so far heres the problem. I can play games, and do whatever else on the computer no problem when its on, but heres the thing, once i turn off the computer it will not post. So i have to pop in a spare ddr2 stick that i think is form kingston, this way the computer turns on i go into bios and give more voltage to the ram to like ~2.1 then i shutdown and put back the buffalo sticks and te computer works perfecty. But like whats the deal with that? I tried other memory and it works no problem but it just seems i have to keep giving the buffalo memory more and more juice or the computer will not post. I kept it under 2.2 but i have to keep swapping out memory just to turn the computer on is really annoying. Especially since i have to ask for a friend to borrow me their memory so mine works.... Sometimes i can get it to post with 1 stick of the buffalo but it will not leave the first motherboard flash screen, i tried 3 different motherboards so i know its the memory for sure, even the power supply i used a multimeter to check that its giving the right 12v rail and 5v. Thanks -jimmy

Memoryman

• El Toro
Re: Ram is dieing...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »

Though it sounds like your CMOS is reverting to default Vdimm when you power down (like a low cmos battery), you don't mention that the memory timings/speed is reverting to default in a shutdown.

Please give us your motherboard model, revision of BIOS, speed of the Kingston sticks, etc.

Have you tested the FireStix with memtest86?

Rincheese

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 08:14:58 PM »
   Its a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R, i also have a Asus P5Q Pro, both r newest revisions last i checked. Everything in cmos saves no problem its just once you turn off the computer you have to switch the memory boot up the machine immedietely turn it off before it goes into windows then pop the 2 buffalo sticks in and it works... this was actually a growing problem. first i used to run it like 1.9v 800 mhz, then the computer started to not want to post like turn it off turn it back on a few times and it would post. Then it got considerably worse when one day i got it to post after 20 tries i gave it .2 more volts for its spec 2.1v, restart and it works, i shut it down at night one day and wake up in the morning to it not posting again. the kingston stick is a PC-8500. Its the same issue on the other motherboard.

Rincheese

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2009, 08:16:58 PM »
   Like a few months back yes i've tested them on memtest, no errors, but right now i can't get it to post so i can't run any sort of tests

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:11:31 AM »

Sounds like your RAM has died the slow death. You need replacements from us.

Here's our replacement procedure for memory.

Please go to http://www.buffalotech.com/files/Buffalo%20Replacement%20Request%20Form.pdf

Fill out the form, print it out, and fax to the phone number on the form. We require a US or Canadian shipping address.Fedex requires a signature in person and a phone number for our shipments.  

Once we receive your fax of the Buffalo memory replacement form, we can initiate a replacement in our database and fax back (or email if you don't have a fax) your RMA number. 

You will need to put your memory in an anti-static bag/box and put that inside a crush-proof box.

Please use Fedex or any reputable carrier with tracking (scan at destination) ability. We advise that your package be insured on route to Buffalo Technology.
Buffalo Technology can not be responsible for the package until the package is delivered to Buffalo Technology USA. Product must arrive in original condition.

Ship to: Buffalo Technology                                                    

RMA (insert RMA number sent to you)                          

11100 Metric Blvd

Ste 750                                   

Austin, Tx 78758 

Once we receive your package, we normally take 3 business days to process your RMA, then we ship the replacement (provided that memory is in stock that day), using FedEx second day shipping.  If you don't have access to a fax machine, you can email us back (to support@buffalotech.com) and supply the information requested on the form, in your email - your email request will mean that you have read the entire form and agree to comply with Buffalo Technology requirements for a replacement.

Rincheese

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 04:26:19 PM »

Well i rma'ed like suggested and its been 3 weeks! i haven't received anything nor was anything said through email to update the situation.

The rma #  BTR 9421

Like whats the deal? what is going on?

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 05:31:58 PM »

Hello Rincheese (Jimmy)

Sorry for the delay,

We were out-of-stock until yesterday (Thursday) and these shipped out yesterday, with Fedex tracking number 970926187949. Estimated arrival time is Mar 2, by 4:30 PM. We upgraded the memory from 1000MHz to 1066MHz modules.

Rincheese

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 04:14:30 PM »

Thanks! It happens, i wasn't really in a rush i still got access to a computer so it was bareable somewhat. 1000mhz to 1066 mhz, sweet. =)

Thanks again -Jimmy