Author Topic: Ram causing PC to switch Off & On frequently  (Read 8192 times)

Tigerted

• Calf
Ram causing PC to switch Off & On frequently
« on: January 27, 2009, 05:22:26 AM »

Installed a 1 x 1gb Buffalo Select DDR 400mhz PC3200 in to a Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo P4 519 Desktop PC in August last year. Over the past few weeks, it has switched off and then on immediately without any warning? Thinking originally that this was caused by a virus/worm etc, but the anti-virus software being fully up-to-date, the problems continued. Eventually backed things up, did a full clean Windows XP install, but still the problem persisted!

Checked and cleaned the Fan (so no overheating), the PSU, Motherboard etc (all hardware checked in case it was loose) and in final desparation, removed the 1gb of Ram just in case (leaving only the original 512mb Ram in place). That was 3 days ago and so far, no problems whatsoever.

Was the Ram really causing the problem?

Memoryman

• El Toro
Re: Ram causing PC to switch Off & On frequently
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:36:17 PM »
   did you - clean the fan and take out the RAM, or did you clean the fan, reboot, get some more restarts, then take out the RAM?

Tigerted

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 06:36:52 AM »
   The fan was the first thing that I cleaned. Only after many attempts at Virus checking etc did I re-install windows xp from the original disk. The Ram was the last thing to be removed and re-installed. The 512 of ram originally installed worked fine as stated, but I have now installed the Buffallo 1gb ram instead and am starting to encounter problems. Internet Explorer will now no longer open and I am using Firefox instead to access here. 

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 09:30:03 AM »

Sounds like the memory module has become defective. Let's proceed to getting a replacement.  Here's our replacement procedure for memory:

Please go to http://www.buffalotech.com/files/Buffalo%20Replacement%20Request%20Form.pdf

Fill out the form, print it out, and fax to the phone number on the form. We require a US or Canadian shipping address.Fedex requires a signature in person and a phone number for our shipments.  Once we receive your fax of the Buffalo memory replacement form, we can initiate a replacement in our database and fax back (or email if you don't have a fax) your RMA number. 

You will need to put your memory in an anti-static bag/box and put that inside a crush-proof box.

Please use Fedex or any reputable carrier with tracking (scan at destination) ability. We advise that your package be insured on route to Buffalo Technology.
Buffalo Technology can not be responsible for the package until the package is delivered to Buffalo Technology USA. Product must arrive in original condition.

Ship to: 

Buffalo Technology                                                    

RMA (insert RMA number sent to you)                          

11100 Metric Blvd

Ste 750                                   

Austin, Tx 78758 

Once we receive your package, we normally take 3 business days to process your RMA, then we ship the replacement (provided that memory is in stock that day), using FedEx second day shipping.  

If you don't have access to a fax machine, you can email us back (to support@buffalotech.com) and supply the information requested on the form, in your email - your email request will mean that you have read the entire form and agree to comply with Buffalo Technology requirements for a replacement.

Message Edited by Memoryman on 01-28-2009 09:31 AM

Tigerted

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 10:16:11 AM »

Thank you very much for the information, however I am in Scotland and therfeore do not have a U.S. or Canadian address as required. I will return this to the Store where I bought it for a refund or replacement.

Many thanks.

Edward Duffy

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 10:26:46 AM »

Scotland - You have a very interesting country. I plan to visit there someday.

For your replacement, tell them that Buffalo Technology determined your memory was defective.

Tigerted

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 06:19:51 PM »

It's definitely the cause of the problem. Since inserting the 1gb Buffalo Ram yesterday, I have encountered all sorts of errors. PC has shut down, IE7 will not open, Outlook Express closes. I think that the product is great, it's just that a fault has occurred.

Enjoy yourself when you eventually get to Scotland. This year is now called "Homecoming Scotland" for all those whose ancestors have left in the previous 250 years or so. This is to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the birth of our great National Bard or Poet: Robert (Rabbie) Burns who was born in 1758.In case you don't know, he wrote "Auld Lang Syne" only one amongst many other Poems & Songs.

Here is the link for more info: http://www.homecomingscotland.com/default.html

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 03:25:35 PM »
   I looked at your link - very interesting. It's a good year to travel to Scotland!