Author Topic: BR or BJ Suffix - Apple G5 RAM  (Read 6521 times)

Larry767

• Calf
BR or BJ Suffix - Apple G5 RAM
« on: February 09, 2009, 09:51:23 AM »
   If I search for DD4003-1G with google I find many resellers selling the DD4003-1G/BR chips for Apple G5 machines. The ones I have are a /BJ. What is the difference between the BR and BJ suffix?

I already know that AD400-1G is the recommended one for my machine but I have a DD4003-1G/BJ chip in one of my machines that sort of works and I'm interested in finding out why it sort of works.

Larry

Memoryman

• El Toro
Re: BR or BJ Suffix - Apple G5 RAM
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2009, 11:50:19 AM »

/BR is a retail (BR = Buffalo Retail for Select-branded modules) package that contains memory with a /BJ (BJ = Buffalo RoHS compliant) part number. These modules are JEDEC compliant and should work in most Macs. However, they are not tested in Macs.

Our TechWorks brand, are designed for and tested in Macs. TechWorks brand will rarely have issues in Macs, due to the extended testing for compatibility in Macs.

Larry767

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2009, 11:55:09 AM »

I mentioned that the machine in question does seem to boot fine with this RAM but the user is experiencing crashes and freezes.  I ran the Apple Hardware Test for this machine and it fails the RAM every time.  I replaced the RAM with some Kingston ValueRam from another machine and AHT is happy with it.  Time will tell if that was the major cause of the problems or if the system software was also a contributor.

Thanks for the info.  I'll make sure to always purchase the stuff that has been "tested" and confirmed for use in Apple machines from now on.

Memoryman

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2009, 12:14:49 PM »
   Failing the Apple test is probably a symptom that the RAM has become defective. Buffalo Select memory has a lifetime warranty - take it back to the retailer for a replacement.

Larry767

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2009, 01:06:32 PM »
   That's fine but according to the website, that's not the right RAM for the machine anyway so there's no guarantee that the replacements will work.  They could be sold though I suppose ...