Author Topic: select ddr2 dimm 1g possibly causing problems with freezing  (Read 5089 times)

covlovememory

• Calf
select ddr2 dimm 1g possibly causing problems with freezing
« on: December 02, 2008, 12:44:09 PM »

My computer randomly freezes forcing me to manually press reset button.  The cause is unknown and I cannot maually generate the freezing error.  Sometimes it happens when switching users or logging out; other times when logging in(stuck on loading personal settings), sometimes the log in starts but is cut off(music chime plays halfway) but resets back to the log in welcome->when this occurs it is usually (but not always) followed by a freezing during the log in.  While in windows I almost never know that its frozen until I try to run any program and it never opens, hour glass doesn't spin, or quick launch icon remains de-pressed.  I've read that this usually indicates  a hardware error often with ram.  Is there a way for me to check it? Could the ram be causing my problem? I was thinking about getting another 1g of mem just to be safe.

motherboard: Elite group G#1T-M

cpu:  Pentium dual core   2 GHz

DRAM: Buf Select DD2 DIMM 1GB PC2-5300 Unbuff x64 Non-ECC  model D2U667C-1G

300 gig west dig  SATA  hard drive

XP home sp 3

memory set to default(for programs) in windows

1536 mb of hard drive for memory

mem usage never been above 800mb

(Bios)

DRAM freq set to auto

cru freq set 200mHz

pc health: VDIMM -1.872V

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: select ddr2 dimm 1g possibly causing problems with freezing
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:41:22 AM »

Run a program called memtest86

you can google it its a free download.  Let this run for 24 hours.

robert3892

• Calf
Re: select ddr2 dimm 1g possibly causing problems with freezing
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 10:05:38 AM »
   Ensure that the memory settings match in your BIOs and if not try setting those values to match what the memory says. For example if the memory says 4-4-4-12 at 2.0 volts then make sure that matches in your BIOs. If you have any components in the BIOs overclocked bring those back down to default o verify it is not an alternative cause.