Author Topic: LinkTheatre HD Nfiniti LT-H90WN - .MKV files - Please help  (Read 7981 times)

m4rkw1

• Calf
LinkTheatre HD Nfiniti LT-H90WN - .MKV files - Please help
« on: December 28, 2009, 07:22:04 AM »

Hi

Just received the  LT-H90WN as a Christmas present. Great piece of kit and very easy to set up.

Problem is that when choosing this product, I did so as it states in the specs that it plays .MKV files.

However, I have tried and when I select such a file, nothing happens and it says not supported. It plays all other files I have but its really annoying that it wont play the .MKV files as it means I can't get the HD files to play.

Am I missing something here??

Please help :smileyhappy:

Many thanks in advance!!

cwsutherland

• Calf
Re: LinkTheatre HD Nfiniti LT-H90WN - .MKV files - Please help
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:18:02 AM »

I think the problem may be the region of your unit. My LT-H90WN plays .MKV without any problem, but it is a european version.

I know from previous posts the North American units seem to have less features. This is a firmware issue.

Craig

m4rkw1

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:26:39 AM »

Many thanks for the reply Craig.

I am in the UK so I assume I have a European version - do you know of anyway to check?

I checked for an update a couple of days ago but it tells me none available - do you know of the firmware version I should using?

I appreciate your help.

Mark

cwsutherland

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 06:37:49 AM »

Hi Mark,

If your unit is connected to the internet then you will have the same firmware version as me, (since you don't get a choice in the matter).

How are you creating your .MKV files?

I use Handbrake, it's free and fast. How about you try to encode some video in Handbrake first and see if that works?

Regards

Craig

m4rkw1

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 06:56:53 AM »

Hi Craig

This is the wierd thing - the .MKV files I have a straight downloads in that format. They play on my PC but not on the LT.

I tried using Handbrake and it asks if I really want to replace the existing .MKV file. I am now seeing if I can convert an MP4 to MKV and see if that works.

I just dont understand why downloaded MKV files wouldn't play automatically if they are already in that format.

Or am I being thick? :smileyhappy:

Thanks

Mark

cwsutherland

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 07:17:55 AM »

Hi Mark,

It is probably due to the original file, before it was encapsulated in .MKV.

These units wont play .MP4 if the (AVC version is greater than 3.1), I had the same trouble using Nero with the advanced encoding options. I had to re-encode the files to a lower AVC version to get them to work.

Other items to note.

If you want to play AC3 (Dolby 5.1) you must use a .MKV container.

.AVI (DivX) files must be a maximum of 720x480, most PAL movies are 720x576

Regards

Craig

m4rkw1

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2010, 09:22:28 AM »

Hi Craig

I tried what you said and it worked, the .MKV files work when converted via Handbrake. Only problem is quality. I had the setting on "Regular High Profile" and the file size came out at 1.4GB which is approximately the same size as HD mkv files I have downloaded. Problem is that when I play the Handbrake converted files on a 42" LCD screen, the quality is not great and a bit pixelated in places.

Any suggestions on getting round that and any tweaks when converting?

I appreciate your help and advice.

Cheers

Mark

cwsutherland

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2010, 11:44:57 AM »

Hi Mark,

Handbrake won't do a very nice job of transcoding a HD movie to work on the Linktheater.

What you need is Xvid4PSP. Just google it. You will also need the free Klite codec pack for it to work, you can get them both from the same site,

On your PC load the HD .MKV into XvidPSP then click Media Info. In the video section you will see format profile and somthing like High@L4.1

This will play fine on my PCH-110 but although the specs of the Linktheater say it can play AVC4.1, it doesn't.

What you will need to to is retranscode the movie to a lower specification AVC profile (AVC 3.1).

Next to video encoding is a little E symbol, click on this and select AVC 3.1.

Select the sound track and container format .MKV and add it to the encode queue.

Now you should have a High Def file which plays on the Buffalo.

m4rkw1

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:37 PM »

Thanks again Craig - am giving that a go now :-)