Author Topic: Media Station BR-816FBS/Panasonic SW-5584 Blu-Ray 8x Burner Problems...  (Read 4988 times)

Burner

• Calf

Hi, I have an HP HDX 18t Notebook Computer with eSATA external case with the Buffalo Media Station BR-816FBS/Panasonic SW-5584 Blu-Ray 8x Burner, DVD Multi-Drive, etc... inside.

The CD-ROM Software Disc that came with the drive won't load the software on my Windows Vista 64 OS, either from the disc, or from the downloaded CD Image of the software.  It starts to load the CyberLink Software, but gives me an error that says I have to load from a DVD-ROM.  I hooked-up a DVD-ROM to the USB port, and I still get the same error.  This software disk is VER. 1.00.  Is there an update?  I don't see one.  

I don't understand this.  Any help?

Also, what are the proper steps to get this drive recognized in Win Vista 64?  I also have a built-in Blu-Ray ROM in this notebook.  This Buffalo/Panasonic unit is supposed to be my fast, external Blu-Ray ROM Burner.

Thanks!

Burner wannabe

Burner

• Calf

Hi Gang,

The problem with the software not installing has been solved.

1.  The CyberLink BD Solution CD that comes with the Buffalo Blu-Ray Burners HAS A DONGLE THAT WILL ONLY LOAD SOFTWARE ON THE DRIVE THAT IT CAME WITH.  The software checks the drive for some sort of serial number or whatever, but it knows when it's in the Buffalo/Panasonic SW-5584 drive, and it won't install from any other drive so far, and it also won't install as a downloaded CD image from the Buffalo website when run from the internal hard disc of my computer.

2.  The error is very vague:  "This software may only be installed with DVD-ROM.  Setup will abort."  Not the best Taiwan/Mandrin Chinese conversion to English in an error message.  What they're really trying to say is:

"THIS SOFTWARE HAS A SINGLE COMPUTER LICENSE AND WILL ONLY INSTALL ON ONE COMPUTER FROM THE OPTICAL DRIVE THAT IT WILL WORK WITH.  THIS SOFTWARE MUST ONLY BE INSTALLED FROM THE OPTICAL DRIVE THAT IT WAS SOLD WITH"

Being the old windoze user that I am, I foolishly assumed that there may be drivers that needed to be installed before the Blu-Ray Burner would work, so, I put the software CD into my computer's DVD drive, and spent the next three hours trying to figure-out what went wrong.  Once I realized that when one assumes, it only makes an ass out of u and me, I started to think in DRM/Dongle/Rights/Piracy Protection Mode and realized that they may be telling me to use the original drive that the software was bundled with.  So, I installed the drive in it's new external eSATA enclosure and Windoze recognized it and I put the CyberLink CD into the Buffalo BR-816FBS and off it went, installing like a banshee!   We're burning now!  All is well in assumption land.  Have Funn out there!  Burner