Author Topic: LTH90WN Firmware update just bricked my Linktheater  (Read 11702 times)

cwsutherland

• Calf
LTH90WN Firmware update just bricked my Linktheater
« on: August 10, 2009, 02:35:12 AM »

Everything had been fine here with my two Linktheaters, then there was this firmware update this morning.

Both units downloaded 100%, said applying update, wait for restart, then flashing pink screen, blank screen, TV goes into standby mode, green power led still on Linktheater, no wireless led, no security led, no standby led.

Pulled power plug hard reset same thing.

My kids are really unhappy, please advise.

alchav21

• Calf
Re: LTH90WN Firmware update just bricked my Linktheater
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »
   Okay, what does the WN stand for? Are you talking about the Media Player, and does the WN stand for Wireless Network? Because if you downloaded the Firmware over Wireless, it's not stable and you will get a Brick.

cwsutherland

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:02:42 PM »

I guess I missed that part in the manual, thanks for advise.

so useful!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 09:53:53 AM »

alchav21 wrote:
Okay, what does the WN stand for? Are you talking about the Media Player, and does the WN stand for Wireless Network? Because if you downloaded the Firmware over Wireless, it's not stable and you will get a Brick.

Rubbish! So basically what your saying it that is you download anything over a WLAN connectin then it will become corrupt, some how i seriously doubt it...... watch this space.
PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

alchav21

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:52:29 AM »

davo wrote:

alchav21 wrote:

Rubbish! So basically what your saying it that is you download anything over a WLAN connectin then it will become corrupt, some how i seriously doubt it...... watch this space.

I'm not big on Wireless, especially for critical updates like Firmware, I've seen these kind of results more than once.  Also for High Definition Video and Sound, Wired Ethernet is the only way to go.  You can see that Buffalo has retired all their Wireless Media Players, they just had too many problems and not reliable.

cwsutherland

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 02:21:15 PM »

It looks like the problem is with HMDI connection

If I disconnect the HMDI connection and connect the TV to the RCA video connection, the Linktheater works fine.

Is there any way to downgrade, go back to the previous code, which was working fine?

BTW, I have never had a problem with the wireless on this unit, I can stream hi-res blue-ray without so much as a glitch. This is purely an issue with the automated firmware update, which I don't have any control over.  

alchav21

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 08:00:33 PM »
   Well I can't find the LTH90WN, it's either a product that has been discontinued or something you Mickey Moused in.  I'm connected with Ethernet, I ran Ethernet 10 years ago throughout my house.  So my Entertainment Center has a RJ45 Connection.  My LTH90LAN is connected to my 62" Mitsubishi DLP with HDMI, and I downloaded and installed the new Firmware with no problems.  So double check the settings for HDMI on your Media Player, you might have to go back to Factory Default.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 08:12:47 PM »

I am going to forward this issue up, we'll see what we can do.

Thanks for the info Davo, I will check on the information that you have provided.

PCPiranha

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 08:19:06 PM »

Oh and Davo, it's really not a good idea to update firmware wirelessly. While it is rare, corruption can result. This is more often the case with wireless routers, but it can happen on the Linktheater as well.

Alchav- The LT-H90WN is the wireless version of the LT-H90LAN

cwsutherland

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »

I think something has definately changed with the HMDI specification or signalling with this update.

Both units have the exact same problem, I have done a factory reset on both Linktheaters, still the same problem.

Both my LCD TV's are the exact same type, so I will plug one of the units into a friends TV to see if that makes a difference.

The firmware update is automated so I don't know how you would avoid downloading it wirelessly, unless you were to jump up and yank out the power cable when it said updating system please wait. 

Colin137

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 03:01:54 PM »
We've passed the issue up to our developers, but I have my doubts that there is an issue with the firmware. We just updated 4 of our LT-H90LANs with no issues. I have a distinct feeling that the issue is with the wireless firmware update. I'll keep you posted on any future development.

PerryM

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 09:32:04 AM »

I wonder if it is a Digital Rights issue - which is supposed to be supported on HDMI. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it has only now been added to the firmware! Trying it on a TV would be a good idea.

Any half-assed  decent firmware upgrade tool should have some form of data verification (of the download)  BEFORE it actually installs it, so I would not expect the wireless connection to be an issue.

cwsutherland

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 12:42:21 PM »

OK I think I have got to the bottom of the problem.

Both my LG37" TV's have DVI-D interfaces. I have a DVI to HMDI cable on both units.

When I plugged one of my units into one of those new Samsung LED TV's using a straight through HDMI cable it worked perfectly.

So whatever Buffalo did in the last firmware update, broke the compatibility with the older HDMI/DVI interface.

Also (PerryM) I checked with LG and the TV's I have both support HDCP, although from reading through other forums this can also be problematic.

Anyway, I am connected to the rather grizzly composite output now, and hoping that Buffalo will fix the problem. I couldn't sell my wife on the 2 new TV's idea because of an incompatible firmware update, she wants to know why we can't go back to the old release which worked fine.

brianhbrianh

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
   I have the exact same problem, except with the LTH90LAN. My TV only has DVI, not HDMI, so I have a converter. It all worked fine until the latest firmware upgrade. Now I can't get the HDMI but I can get it through the crappy composite output. I talked to Tech Support, and since it was still under warranty, they sent me a new unit. Same thing happened. It worked fine on HDMI until I plugged it into the network. It went out, and then did the upgrade, and since then I can't get the HDMI. Is there any way to get the old firmware back?

cwsutherland

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 11:10:57 PM »
   I had two of the LTH90WN, I replaced one with a Popcorn hour A-110 because of this problem. Far better product, and everything works fine, plus they care about their products, and release periodic updates. Just wish I bought Popcorn in the first place.