Author Topic: AC3 Audio support on LT-H90WN  (Read 8504 times)

cwsutherland

• Calf
AC3 Audio support on LT-H90WN
« on: May 30, 2009, 11:43:01 AM »

Hello,

I have recently purchased the LT-H90WN which supports DIVX/XVID. I have this connected with SP/DIF(TosLink) to my DENON amplifier which supports AC3/DTS.

I set the LT-H90WN to pass through AC3

If I encode a DIVX movie with the AC3 sound track included, I get no sound, and the frame rate of the picture drops by half.

I played the file on my PC without problems, including the AC3 content, so does the LT-H90WN only support MP3 for audio on Divx/Xvid?

Which video formats support AC3 on this product?

Jason

• El Toro
Re: AC3 Audio support on LT-H90WN
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:28:21 PM »

Well, I'm not sure where you read DIVX/XVID support, but all documentation here as well as our product page here in the US doesn't show those as supported. Although independently AC3 is supported.

Compatible Media Formats

Video FormatsMPEG2, MPEG4 (low res), WMV, H.264
Video Modes720p, 1080i
Audio FormatsAAC-LC, AAC-HE, MP3, WAV, WMA, Dolby® Digital (AC-3)
Image FormatsJPG, BMP, PNG, GIF

Supported File Types

Videompg, mpeg, vob, mp4, wmv, asf, avi, m2t, m2ts, mts, m4v
Audiowav, mp3, wma, m4a
Imagejpg, jpeg, png, bmp., gif

cwsutherland

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 03:06:41 PM »

I must have a European version or something, this from page 37 of the .PDF manual

Video Formats MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4, XviD**, wmv 9, H.264
Audio Formats MP3, WAV, WMA, M4A (AAC)
Image Formats JPG, BMP, PNG, GIF
Video Modes 576i, 576p, 72 0p, and 1080i

** SD, MP3 audio only.

Anyway it plays XVID/DIVX perfectly (once I realised that the maximum resolution supported is 720*480). I have created a media file in every supported format and included the Dolby AC3 source with each file.

I choose Passthrough AC3 from the setup menu but get no sound, except with MPEG2. This seems to be the only codec which will passthrough the AC3 sound track.

Is there any plans in the future to enable pass through for any of the other codec's? 

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 10:12:05 PM »
Looks like your answer is right there in those european specs there, it says it only supports divx with mp3 or sd audio, neither of which is ac3.
Message Edited by Jason on 06-02-2009 10:12 PM

PerryM

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 05:53:09 AM »

Just what I'm complaining about elsewhere! AC3 is not even mentioned in the spec or manual instructions, yet I've found that if I have an appropriate 'header' on my video files (e.g. Transport Stream) then the LT-H90LAN decodes an AC3 track to stereo perfectly. I'm not personally interested in the 'pass through' feature so I cannot comment further on that, but the product seems full up with what I call 'undocumented features'.

There is a rather common attitude in some companies to minimising the listed features so that they can then minimise support requirements. I do hope that Buffalo are not amongst these but there is a nasty smell coming from that direction! 

cwsutherland

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 12:28:21 AM »

Thanks PerryM,

What did you do exactly to convince the LTH-90 to convert the AC3 to stereo. I'm assumming that the file you have still contains the AC3 soundtrack? Which format are you using?

This would be a great workaround for me until Buffalo release a version of firmware sometime later this century which supports passthrough on AVI,MP4,WMV.

PerryM

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 02:13:37 AM »
   This is getting it to play recorded (by DVBViewer) broadcast HD Transport Streams from BBC HD on Freesat in UK. These have an AC3 track that the Buffalo normally ignores, If I pass the .ts file through tsMuxeR set to Mux then it changes the Audio Ident from 5101 to 4352 and then the Buffalo happily plays it and decodes it to stereo on the HDMI. I don't have an AC3 decoder in my TV so it is definitely the LT-H90 that is doing the business.

cwsutherland

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 02:34:34 PM »

**SOLVED!*

After much searching and experimenting I discovered that the Linktheater LT-H90WN supports .mkv although this is not published in the manual.

All I have to do is seperate the ac3 audio and video from the source .avi file and mux them together again in a .mkv container. This takes less than 30 seconds.

Now the Dolby audio works and I have a lean video file.