Author Topic: LinkTheater HD and H.254  (Read 6011 times)

PerryM

• Calf
LinkTheater HD and H.254
« on: July 03, 2009, 05:30:25 AM »

Let us have another go at stirring some support from Buffalo! The LT-H90LAN claims support for H.264 but elicits no more information about HD video container types or details thereof. H.264 is a codec, NOT a video format so PLEASE may we have some more details as to EXACTLY what it supports.

My own explorations have revealed working H.264 examples of Transport Stream and Matroska (MKV) formats, but only after a rediculous trial and error process of passing the files through a random selection of the MANY HD video utility 'fixers' that are out there.

I have a nasty suspicion that Buffalo are retreating this product to the very limited DLNA features set (DLNA is not even mentioned in the manual) rather than offering a more realistic set for the developing multimedia world. The opening page of the manual states:

"LinkTheater plays back most popular video, image and audio formats."

I just want to know 'HOW?'

thanks for your understanding

Jason

• El Toro
Re: LinkTheater HD and H.254
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 11:19:14 AM »

Not sure what exactly you are looking for here.

The linktheater HD officially only supports the following file types for video: mpg, mpeg, vob, mp4, wmv, asf, avi, m2t, m2ts, mts, m4v

No mkv support is mentioned.

It will play any of those file types as long as they were created using any of the following codecs:  MPEG2, MPEG4 (low res), WMV, H.264(MPEG4AVC)

Anything else will play on a provisional basis, no guarantees made. 

Message Edited by Jason on 07-04-2009 11:19 AM

PerryM

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 12:07:24 PM »

Jason

Since the device actually plays both MKV and Transport Streams (with H.264) I'm  just asking that we get a little help in knowing how best to present these file types rather than having to wander around in the dark! Same with the Dolby AC3 audio. That's not too much to ask is it?

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 03:23:21 PM »

Do you have a problem playing or viewing any of the following file types?

Videompg, mpeg, vob, mp4, wmv, asf, avi, m2t, m2ts, mts, m4v
Audiowav, mp3, wma, m4a
Imagejpg, jpeg, png, bmp., gif

PerryM

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 04:33:56 PM »

I'm currently only interested in H.264. The most popular file type for this over here in UK is either transport stream (from broadcast HD) or MKV for downloads.

I don't want any corporate guarantees, I just want a little help in getting the box to do what it was clearly designed to do.

I did try a couple of MPeg4 files (they worked fine) but unfortunately I cannot get the BBC to broadcast in that format.

The box is supposed to support H.264, this is most commonly found in transport streams and MKV, so how are we supposed to view these files? It's a simple question, and I suspect it has a simple answer; but sticking your head in the sand and pretending these file types don't exist is not the way to go.

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 05:07:07 PM »

I don't know how to make myself any clearer, we will only offer help on what the box is designed to do.

We print the video types it supports clearly, in the manual and on it's spec page. 

Just because something was encoded using H264 does NOT mean it is going to play on the linktheater HD.

It needs to be in a recognizable extension. 

Generally speaking when you pull these broadcasts off of your DVR or wherever you get them, they'll be in some .str container or something else obscure. 

I know of no box, that's not a computer with codec packs installed, that can decode this data without conversion.

I know of only a scant few media players that support mkv. We do not. 

So, if these files are not in a supported file type, they will not play or will not play properly. 

The easiest way to play these BBC transport streams which are most likely either .str or .ts is to extract the mpeg out of it. 

Or more simply use tsRemux to just convert the whole thing into a m2ts file, which the unit does play. 

Message Edited by Jason on 07-04-2009 05:10 PM
Message Edited by Jason on 07-04-2009 05:33 PM

PerryM

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 07:14:26 PM »

Jason - this is just nonsense - just what IS a 'recognisable extension' for H.264 (which I remind you is there on the spec page).

The Linktheater HD DOES play transport streams AND MKV files encoded with the H.264 codec. The problem is because Buffalo refuse to elaborate on exactly what it DOES support with H.264 then it is very difficult to know how to present the relevant files. I've got them working with a simple but boring process of trial and error (but NO transcoding involved) which is clearly not satisfactory.

I asked a simple request for support and I think you've made your (corporate) position pretty clear. It seems to reflect the general view of the company amongst users which is rather sad really. The Linktheater HD makes cracking pictures when allowed to do so!

Anyways - I'll leave you in peace