Author Topic: LinkTheater PC-P3LWG/DVD and NETFLIX  (Read 6175 times)

lilal

• Calf
LinkTheater PC-P3LWG/DVD and NETFLIX
« on: February 24, 2009, 08:30:45 AM »

I have been trying everything to get the LinkTheater to stream my instant movies from Netflix with no luck.  I even attempted Windows Media Connect and PlayOn digital media server.  Windows Media Connect reports the LinkTheater as "Unable to play DRM files".  PlayOn's tech support said the LinkTheater must NOT be a truly DLNA compliant device if it is unable to stream Netflix through their software.

Is there any future hope of having Netflix instant movies streamed through the LinkTheater?  Firmware update, perhaps???

Jason

• El Toro
Re: LinkTheater PC-P3LWG/DVD and NETFLIX
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:39:55 AM »
At this point it cannot receive Netflix streams. I can pass along your request.

lilal

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:51:25 AM »

Thank you.  That would be a great feature for the LinkTheater.

Do you know why it cannot receive Netflix streams?  Does is have to do with DRM or being DLNA compliant?  Is it something that could be fixed with simply a firmware upgrade or would the design of the LinkTheater have to be altered physically?

Thanks Again.

lilal

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »

Just wondering if any progress has been made towards updating the firmware to allow true DLNA compliance to allow NetFlix streaming on this LinkTheater.

This would be a great addition to the already magnificent capabilities of this device.

Thank you.

Jason

• El Toro
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 12:40:53 PM »

I've already passed it along, although we stopped producing this model quite some time ago.

Also, in no way does DLNA compliance indicate any required usage of netflix streams. 

lilal

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 02:43:50 PM »

Thanks for the quick response.  I understand that DLNA compliance does not specifically require NetFlix streaming.  The reason i bring up DLNA compliance in this context is the fact that PlayOn Digital Media Server software, by MediaMall Technologies is suppose to enable Netflix Streaming on DLNA compliant devices.  I have tried several versions of this software on the LinkTheater with no luck.

When I queried their tech support team, and sent them the PC logs for error-checking, they said the issue must be that the LinkTheater is not a truly DLNA compliant device.

I have four of the LinkTheater devices and absolutely love them.  I have just been making a great attempt to get them to stream NetFlix, with no luck so far.  With this feature, these devices will serve my needs for the foreseeable future.

I am also aware Buffalo has stopped manufacturing these devices, but I was hoping for continuous firware updates.  Is this going to happen, or has firmware development for these devices also ceased?

Thanks again for your time and assistance.