Author Topic: BRHC-6316U2 Blu-Ray External Drive: Intermittent failure to recognize HD-DVDs on Dell Inspiron 6400?  (Read 6723 times)

RockstarOC

• Calf

I use this drive on two different Dell Laptop computers, and I use the software bundled with the drive.  On my newer Laptop with Vista, I don't have any issues with functionality. On the older laptop, I run into some issues.

On my Dell Inspiron 6400 Windows XP Laptop, the drive has been unable to recognize any HD DVDs at all.  It will recognize non-HD DVDs with no trouble.  Normally I would just dismiss this as an "older laptop incompatibility" issue, but I was able to process HD DVDs on this very computer until about 2 weeks ago.  At that time, I had to re-install Windows XP and all software.  Now, the drive will not recognize HD-DVDs anymore.  It simply says Windows cannot read from this disc.  It might be corrupted, or using a format that is incompatible with Windows.  however, it will recognize non-HD DVDs.

Do you have any information on why this might have happened?

Message Edited by RockstarOC on 02-11-2009 02:29 PM
Message Edited by RockstarOC on 02-11-2009 02:41 PM

spektre1

• Calf
   Yes, try reinstalling the software. This drive requires special drivers to enable the HD-DVD or Bluray functionality. Make sure Nero or Cyberlink PowerDVD are installed. Specifically, I believe the PowerDVD software needs to be there because it has a codec to read the discs. That should fix your problem.

RockstarOC

• Calf

Ok thanks.  You're probably correct -- this is a Codec/Windows XP issue most likely. 

I reinstalled Nero 8 (packaged with the drive) but got the same result -- for some reason, it can't recognize the HD DVD.  However, I installed AnyDVD and it was able to rip the disc using its own internal codec.  I'll try to hunt around some more, but if you have any other ideas, that would be great.