Author Topic: Buffalo Media Station BluRay / HDVD USB and Mac: First Blu-Ray freezing in spots  (Read 6891 times)

maxcel

• Calf

Based on a review on Circuit City's website, I bought this unit to burn Blu-Ray video from my IMAC (Intel), realizing no Mac compatibility is stated or implied anywhere.

I have no prior experience in authoring Blu-Ray, but years of experience authoring SD DVDS as I am a wedding videographer.

My very first full burn is having strange problems I'm trying to resolve as I can still return the drive.

The Mac recognized the drive perfectly, and as a test, I burned an SD DVD, which was just fine.

Then I encoded the same project to Blu-Ray via Adobe Encore (Cs3) for Mac, and burned to a Sony BD-E.  (Re-writeable) and burned.

Upon playback in a Sony BD-350, 15 minutes into the playback, during the wedding processional, the image momentarily freezes numerous times.

Then I learned that I could burn shorter Blu-Ray files to regular DVD, so I created short versions of the same processional.  For some reason these played fine.

Next step was to try write once BD media and I experienced the trouble once again.  I also tried creating disk images instead of burning directly, no difference in result.

I updated the firmware of the player, and I did rent a BluRay movie to test, and also watch a full 2 hour standard DVD I burned with the Buffalo Media Station, and it was fine.

So, I can burn Blu-Ray, but not to a Blu-Ray disc.  Any thoughts on how to get a successful full length program on a BD disc would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Colin137

• Big Bull
That is indeed an odd issue. The first thing I would try is to install the drive on a PC if possible, and try burning a BD image created with Encore. This will tell us if the drive itself is causing the issues, or if it's a problem with the Apple driver.

maxcel

• Calf

Colin:

Thank you for your reply.  

Although I didn't solve the problem, I was able to find a work-around, and this might help other Mac users.

My problems occurred with both Disc and Image''s in which Encore encoded the master Quicktime files.  

I then encoded directly from Final Cut Pro's timeline via Compressor, and imported transcoded files into Encore, and the result was a perfectl Blu-Ray disc.

Colin137

• Big Bull
Glad to hear you got it working.