Author Topic: DVD Movie Playback of VOB Files  (Read 9971 times)

alchav21

• Calf
DVD Movie Playback of VOB Files
« on: December 06, 2008, 01:47:35 PM »
   I've had my Link Theater DVD Player for about 5 years now and I think it's a great Product.  I have my DVD Movies backed up on HDD with VOB Files, this is done in 1Gb segments.  I would like to play these segments seamlessly like a DVD Disc.  I think this is done with software reading the IFO Files instead of just the VOB Files.  Is the Link Theater Software going to be upgraded, or is there another solution?

marvin

• Calf
Re: DVD Movie Playback of VOB Files
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 11:28:16 AM »
   This is a good idea, I will email this to info@buffalotech.com they will forward the request to there firmware writers.  However for now I am unaware of software that will do that, I am sure some one made server software that can handle that.

SimoPP

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 04:00:34 AM »
   I guess that DRM´s may limit playing ripped files. However, some players like Tvix´s do exactly like this, so I am not sure. This was the reason why I finally did not even consider Link Theater for my media player.

alchav21

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 01:43:37 AM »

No these VOB Files are free of any DRM or any of that restrictive Junk, they are DVD Back-ups cleaned up with DVDFab Software.  They play just fine in 1Gb segments, but going from one associated segment to the next is like changing reels in the old film days.  The Files are named VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_01_2.VOB, and so on and the Link Theater Software plays them but with a pause as it changes from one VOB File to the next.  If I convert from these VOB Files to MPEG, it plays fine through the whole movie, but if you have to stop in the middle then you have to go back to the beginning and fast forward to the spot you want.

These Back-up DVD Files also have IFO Files that a DVD Player uses to play these VOB Files seamlessly.  So I think the Link Theater Software has to be updated to read these IFO Files.  Does anyone know who wrote the Link Theater Software, it hasn't been updated in many years?

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 12:57:55 PM »
What model of the link theater do you have?  I will see if I can find.

alchav21

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 07:49:34 PM »
   I have the Link Theater PC-P3LWG/DVD, and the software is Link Theater Version 1.6 2006.  I love this Player, I wanted to wait for a Blu-ray version, but all Buffalo pointed me to was a stand alone USB Portable Player.  So it looks like I am getting a Panasonic Blu-ray Player for Christmas, until Buffalo wakes up and makes a Blu-ray Player.  I think all they have to do is upgrade the one I have, take out the DVD put in a Blu-ray and upgrade the Software and Firmware.  I only use Ethernet, I don't think they should put that much into Wireless Video it doesn't have the bandwidth to play smoothly.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 05:59:33 PM »
I will pass this up to our corporate office.

johan_buffalo

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2008, 04:00:56 PM »

I thought I read somewhere from Buffalo that it is not supported (intentionally).  Do let me know if they do decide to add this feature in Linktheater.  Ripping the DVD backup to harddrive would be a plus.  It will be a lot easier to search for movies, video files than go through DVDs one by one.  For the same reason, I ripped all my old CDs to MP3 and server it from linkstation-live to my Yamaha DLNA friendly amplifier. 

rehan7876

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 11:07:12 PM »
   I ended up using a free software that would join vob files.. so I would have 1 vob file for each movie. you can still use the subtitle button when playing etc. which is nice. you will lose that if you convert to mpg .   

Ozzie

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 08:25:51 PM »
   If you dont mind me asking, what software are you using to join the vob files? Is the picture quality the same as before the conversion? What about the audio coding? Thanks,

rehan7876

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 07:29:53 AM »

Hi,

Its call join vob files tool  beginwithsoftware.com/videoguides/joinvobfilestool.html

It does not reencode the video so it is the same quality and therefore it joins them very quickly. The audio is unchanged also.

You can also use dvdshrink and that has a setting to reauthor and then a setting to not split them to 1gig segmants etc.. But dvdshrink may not be useable in some countries due to laws etc..

Ozzie

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 10:11:58 AM »

Thank you for the link. I have downloaded it and used it on a couple of movies. It does work quickly. I will play them tonight, and am looking forward to uninterrupted playback of movies from now on.

Thanks again.