Author Topic: Where is the Open VPN option in the WHR-300HP DD-WRT firmware?  (Read 8334 times)

ilabra01

• Calf

Hello, I need to configure my VPN, my provider doesn´t support PPTP, I tried it and behavior is just poor and erratic. I need t8 constantly reboot / reconnect the router. It came with DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (07/05/12) std (SVN revision 19438)

I can't seem to find the open vpn menu as promised in the product sheet, nor a firmware upgrade either at buffalotech.com site, or dd-wrt site. So far, truly dissappointing.

Can anyone help me please? has anyone faced this before, and found a resolution?

thanks!

ilabra01

• Calf
Re: Where is the Open VPN option in the WHR-300HP DD-WRT firmware?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »

Btw, my VPN provider is www.steongvpn.com

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2013, 06:50:34 AM »

If this unit has any VPN options at all, which is doubtful, it'll be PPTP or L2TP at best, if at all, that unit has a 4MB flash, hardly enough room for something like openVPN to be included in its firmware, if you want something like openVPN, you'd need to buy a dd-wrt supported router with 8MB or more flash space. and BTW, your link to whatever VPN service you use doesn't work, i suspect you don't know how to spell it correctly...

ilabra01

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2013, 04:29:49 PM »

Thank you for your posting. It is a ppity that they market the WHR-300HP as OpenVPN capable. I guess I'll just toss it and recommend people not to buy it.

Thank you also for your note on my provider, it is indeed wrong. The actual link is www.strongvpn.com. I only realized the mistake now, and I can only attribute it to these new flipping touch keyboards I'll never get used to...

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2013, 08:20:53 AM »

Thats funny because in all the advertisements i have read about the WHR-300HP, it never says anything about OpenVPN. It says VPN end points, which would be more leaning towards what i said in my first posting on this matter.

The only thing you could possibly read from buffalo about this unit is the product PDF, which states nothing about openvpn whatsoever. I am more suspecting the problem is with you and your reading of info. But to each their own, should you feel the need to boycott a product because of your own ignorance is up to you..

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 09:24:05 AM »

No WHR router is capable, will ever be capable, is not and never has been advertised as being OpenVPN compatible.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

joma90

• VIP
  • Life would be easy if we only had the source code!
    • Let me show you how to google
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 03:54:20 AM »

Not trying to argue but this page makes it really seem like they do since at the bottom has a hyperlink to the unit WHR-300HP. I knew this unit wont since it just a rebranded unit of the WHR-HP-G300N but still..... 

http://www.buffalotech.com/resource-center/wireless-technologies/dd-wrt-firmware

Units I own: TS-XL, TS-WXL, LS-WVL, TS-RXL,  TS5400, TS-RVHL,

I don't work for Buffalo but i do love there products enough to help people

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 06:25:08 AM »

I'd still say thats a generalization of just what dd-wrt is, if you go to the actual product page and download the PDF info on the unit itself, you'd see what i posted in the first post. The PDF never lists openVPN as one of its features, only VPN end points.

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 02:27:14 PM »

So i did what you said and there is no manual that is just for the whr-300hp. its for both whr-wzr series and does have openvpn in the manual but doenst state that is only for wzr. page 14, other features that are wzr do state wzr series only. so thats another misleading point as the manual is basically saying that both series support openvpn or it would have had wzr series only next to it. Just trying to show its clearly not the consumers fault there are these misleading points and get confused on what there buying.

http://www.buffalotech.com/support-and-downloads/download/WZR-WHR_Routers_DD-WRT_Manual.pdf

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 02:54:30 PM »

People tend to get tunnel vision towards some kind of goal about something and seem to forget to look around and study to see what it actually takes to achieve that goal - too eager beaver, buffalo cannot be blamed for that, its human nature.

I'm not saying you don't have a good point, i'm just sayin that if i really needed an enterprise feature such as openvpn, i would have definately put more research into knowing what hardware would be able to support it.

http://www.buffalotech.com/content/files/products/WHR-300HP_Datasheet.pdf

joma90

• VIP
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 02:03:50 AM »

very true and i cant agree more, just hoping they might try to overview what they type so that people that dont know much or have the i need to buy this now for some reason feeling wont get misunderstood information and then later get mad and do bad reviews on a company.

Thanks for the talk.