Author Topic: WZR-HP-G450H better firmware!  (Read 25009 times)

davisdmg

• Calf
WZR-HP-G450H better firmware!
« on: March 08, 2013, 05:12:35 AM »

Hello everybody!

I just bought this router.

It comes with the first version of dd-wrt of buffalo.

I noticed that there are 2 more version in the buffalo webpage (of dd-wrt)

There ir also a user friendly firmware version (buffalo)

And there is an updated version of openwrt firmware working for this router.

I'm not sure which one would works better in the router:

-First version of dd-wrt ftp://nfiniti1:wzr-hp-g450h@188.65.163.247/WZR-HP-G450H-pro_v24sp2-17140.enc

-Second version of dd-wrt ftp://nfiniti1:wzr-hp-g450h@188.65.163.247/WZR-HP-G450H-pro_v24sp2-18795.zip

-Last version of dd-wrt ftp://nfiniti1:wzr-hp-g450h@188.65.163.247/WZR-HP-G450H-pro_v24sp2-20025.zip

-User friendly version 1.86

-Openwrt  http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09-rc1/ar71xx/generic/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-wzr-hp-g450h-squashfs-tftp.bin

Which one do you have installed?

NK

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G450H better firmware!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »

I can tell you none of them is working good for me.

Currently I have v24sp2-20025 and every time I use it for P2P downloading it stops working so that even a reboot doesn't help (sometimes it takes 6-7 reboots and many hours of wait time). 

Today is one of such days - 4 reboots and 3 power cycles didn't help so I just connected to the internet using a Dlink mini AP so that I can get by and see if there's any news about this instability issue.

I used to have User-friendly firmware and it was bad in its own way.

Each f/w I tried for this product was unacceptable to me...

davisdmg

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »

:(

For now, I have the first firmware working with torrent and usb hard drive + nas working too.

I'm afraid of updating because of that :(

Some people told me that the last version of openwrt is working really well.

NK

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 09:40:49 PM »

I just reset my DD WRT f/w (Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (09/27/12) std) because the darn thing wouldn't work (as in: it wouldn't let you go on the Internet).

I discovered that it can't handle "MAC address" type of access control - after I enabled it and downloaded torrents for 1 day, it was game over... It couldn't let you go on the Internet at all. I rebooted 5 times (one time completely disconnected it from everything for 8 hours).

Today I reset it and it's working again, but without MAC address control.

This is the 3rd time this same problem has happened.

Your mileage may vary.

www123

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 04:45:00 AM »

Hi, the user friendly 1.85 is working the best for me and a lot of others. 1.86 not tested yet.

Regards WS.

davisdmg

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 09:43:01 AM »

Nice! Could I have a copy of that firmware? I'm only able to dowmload 1.86 firmware :(

davisdmg

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 11:26:41 AM »

that is the 1.86, I would like the 1.85

hamr

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2013, 11:05:20 AM »

DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (09/27/12) std - build 20025 is what I have. I just opened up my router 2 days ago. I upgraded the to the latest firmware build and found that was NOT a good idea. I have no backward compatibility and it appears that the latest firmware has some issues. I regret my inclination to get the latest build, thinking it would be OK. I should of tried the older firmware and if the old fw works, leave it. My G450H is not logging anything from the firewall and drops my workstations and laptops VPN connections easily. Because of this I am not confident about its security BUT I HOPE that all can be resolved. I purchased expensive NetGear, Dlink & CISCO wireless AP's $200+ each and found that the G450H has the best features listed at 1/2 the price, but will only consider it good value if I can get them to all work. Good luck.

davisdmg

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 04:07:37 PM »

So...If I update to the last version, I wont be able to downgrade?

NK

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 07:13:15 AM »

change 186 to 186 in the URL

* WZR-HP-G450H Firmware *
* Copyright(C) 2011 BUFFALO INC. *

File contents

Readme.txt This file
howto_update_ap.html Firmware update instruction
images\*** Image data folder for howto_update_ap.html
manual\*** AOSS for iPhone User Manual
wzrhpg450h-185 WZR-HP-G450H Ver1.85 firmware file

davisdmg

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 06:23:50 AM »

I tried the 1.85 user friendly firmware, but it doesnt work for me, because I use a ntfs hard drive and it doesnt support ntfs.

So I updated to the last dd-wrt firmare revision.

It accepts my hard drive toshiba 1tb usb 3.0 in ntfs format.

The default samba conf is "wrong" because the security level is set to "user" and it must be set to "share". But we can change it if we check "personal configuration" (or something lika that).

The wifi conexion is faster (with the first firmware I connected at 150mb, now I connect at 280 +/-). But the wifi stability is worst. I use to play some online games and sometimes the latency grows between 30ms and 400ms without any other device connected to the router. I hope buffalo fix this in the next revision if they plan to build another revision.

Another "issue", I dont know if it because the ntfs driver, but the transfer speed to samba (I mean a film from my computer to the usb hard drive in the router, connected at 280mb by wifi) is 2-3MB/s MAX. This is absurd. Anyone could confirm me this? Is it because the ntfs format or is it just a bug in the firmware?

NK

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 03:25:46 AM »

With this product I'd always suspect it's the firmware. NTFS is just a driver, it's the same for millions of Linux systems out there.

I have DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (09/27/12) std and it's been a joke (see my earlier posts on this forum).

There are so many bugs that it's hard to pinpoint the action or setting that causes this product not to work.

Lately it seems that DD-WRT v24SP2 is sensitive to MAC address filtering, so I had to disable that (and indeed, WiFi signal doesn't go offline to the point where even rebooting the system doesn't help). But once or  twice a day I my clients simply lose connection to the AP and I have to manually Disconnect and then Reconnect (all those clients used not to have this problem with other APs and with this AP and I didn't change anything on any of the clients). So you leave some download on, you come back next morning and the thing is still stuck there. Truly awful product.

davisdmg

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2013, 11:50:05 AM »

Yes, you are right.

I dont understand why buffalo doesnt release a new firmware with all those bugs fixed.

I'm using now the latest firmware of buffalo dd-wrt. I know openwrt is working with this router but I'm not sure how to flash it.

I re-formated the hard drive in ext3 but the transfer speed was the same.

If I connect using ethernet I get arount 12MB/s speed transfer, but If I use a wifi conexion (wifi n 300mbps), the speed is 1.5-3MB/s...so absurd...

Anybody knows if buffalo plain to release a new firmware?

NK

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2013, 03:18:33 PM »

I don't think they announce these things.

Judging by the speed and quality of previous releases (slow and poor quality), I am not holding my breath. 

To make things more laughable, last time when I was buying I decided not to cut corners and buy a good AP, so I bought this one and two brand new Buffalo WiFi adapters for "optimal performance of my wireless network" although my existing adapters didn't have any issues (I happened to have a bit fo extra money and though what the heck...).

Fast forward 10 months later and it's at par with the worst AP I've ever had (the previous one, from SMC). Main differences:

a) The Buffalo AP (this one) has more features (but most of which don't work properly, and the overall stability of the unit is pathetic) 

b) The few features that SMC had worked (what didn't work was many P2P connections would make it hang, so I had to manually set that limit down to 250 in P2P software) 

c)  The SMC was 50% cheaper

Are saying you are using the generic firmware, not from Buffalo? If so, which version and where did you get it? I might as well give it a shot and if it doesn't work throw the darn thing to garbage and buy something that works.