Author Topic: Printing using the WZR-600DHP and its usp port  (Read 3627 times)

troach76

• Calf
Printing using the WZR-600DHP and its usp port
« on: February 17, 2013, 03:09:18 AM »

I finally got shared printing working with my WZR-600DHP and my Canon ip6600d. I don't know if this has been covered in other posts but i figured since I could not seem to find any info about it, it had not been covered.

I am using Windows 7 64 bit pro and here arer the steps that was simple and needed no additional software. First thing is that I did have the printer instaalled and running previously on my windows 7 machine using usb port on the pc. Then i bought the buffalo router and wanted to share the printer with all the other pcs on my home network but did no want someone to have to power up my pc to use my shared printer. So I hooked the printers usb to the usb port on the router, went into the web setup interface of the router and made sure usb support and printing support was enabled unser the services tab. Then I re-booted the router while the printer was powered up just to make sure everything saw each other.

I then went to the "Devices and Printers" tab under the windows 7 start orb

I right clicked in the printer section and told it to add a printer, I then selected network,wireless,bluetooth option

The computer started scanning but you will need to abort this by clicking on the button "The printer I want is not listed"

The the next option that will become available will be to use TCP/IP for the printer, select that one and click next.

On the Hostname IP address line type the ip number of your buffalo router mine was 192.168.11.1 this was all that I typed. I then clicked next, After a minute or 2 of detecting port it came back with additional port information required.

Select standard and "Generic network card" then click next it then takes another minute or 2 to saying detecting the driver model.

Then the next thing that pops up in the install the printer driver window, I selected Canon in the left window then the ip6600d in the right window. I then clicked next and windows asked if I wanted to use the current driver that was installed (Remember I had already had this printer working with this pc's usb port before switching the usb cable to the buffalo router's usb port)

After this the printer name window showed, I clicked ok and printed a test page and everything worked great.

The only thing I noticed is that the monitoring software from canon had trouble comunicating with the printer so ink monitoring through the pc may not function corectly, I just the the screen on the printer for that anyway

Tim