Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH2 - How to limit bandwidth utilization of wireless devices  (Read 4640 times)

Oskaar

• Calf
I have a bridged set up using two of the WZR-HP-G300NH2 in my home. Equipment setup - UPSTAIRS: Router 1: WZR-HP-G300NH2 (Set as WDS AP; connected to the DSL Modem on the up-port ; and Gb connections to server and workstations) Firmware version: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (10/31/11) std - build 17798 Equipment setup - DOWNSTAIRS: Router 2: WZR-HP-G300NH2 (Set as WDS Station) Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (03/21/11) std - build 16519 ISSUE: My room-mate purchased a Kindle Fire and has been downloading stuff like crazy via wireless (n band) . The problem is that when he is up/downloading anything, it dominates the bandwidth. I can watch the throughput drop to almost nothing for my downloads when he switches it on and begins to download files. ...and yes, I have literally had him sitting on the couch with me in order to verify that is the case. I made sure to turn down all other equipment before I did this in order to ensure that there are no other active connections. How can I limit the amount of bandwidth the Kindle uses while it is active on my network and downloading files? Can I turn it off completely? I've looked at the QoS IP and MAC settings and tweaked around with no improvement. What do I need to do? Thanks, Oskaar

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH2 - How to limit bandwidth utilization of wireless devices
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 07:43:22 PM »

First off i would hit their downloads support site and get a more up to date build. I believe you should have 19154 available to you, QoS before 17990 was rather hit and miss, after 17990 is much better. After you upgrade, i would then assign a static DHCP lease IP to the aformentioned devices - then enable QoS and enter your up/down values, remember - only use 80% of each up and down. After that, in the IP section, then have an entry for their ip that you assigned to the devices and assign priority to bulk. Bulk will ensure that they will only get bandwidth if no other person is doing something else on the network. If someone else is doing something, the Bulk class will then only use 10% of your bandwidth. Good for P2P apps and bandwidth hogs in general. I also say use the IP and not the MAC because when you use the MAC it adds much overhead to the shaping process, thus eating up alot of CPU cycles to perform, when you use the IP it eliminates this overhead.

Oskaar

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »

Thank you buddee, I will upgrade the build and roll in the settings you suggest. I'm upgrading my bandwidth this Thursday so I will be able to make the changes while I have everything disconnected. I'll echo back here once I have rolled the changes into production.

Cheers, 

Oskaar

Oskaar

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 03:08:44 PM »

OK, so after what was a couple of weeks worth of delays, I'm all upgraded (which happened the same day as Buddee's advice) to the latest Buffalo version of ddwrt.. My bandwidth upgrade took longer due to several issues in getting the cable actually pulled underground to my house. Let's just say that TWC had to do some serious repair and upgrades to get my bandwidth SLA met.

I'm rolling in the changes today and shutting down my AT&T DSL line. I'll be tweaking the routers with the QoS settings. I'm thinking that because my roomate has 3 devices I should isolate them on a VLAN in order to apply the QoS setting, only I'm not so sure how to do that using two routers. Should I set this up differently, or should I stick with WDS?

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 07:56:27 PM »

If all you have is a 2 router setup, i wouldn't use WDS, i would use something like client bridge (routed). Makes the setup a little easier. WDS is good, but more for mesh style setups in my opinion.

Oskaar

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 10:38:30 AM »

I was wondering about that after reading the FAQs on Setting up a Wireless Bridge and Setting up a Guest Network (thank you for the additional helpful posts in the Guest Network thread). Baji seems to have a good step by step process on his blog, but I noted that he posted a response to a comment from another poster about less than successful QoS and Traffic Shaping with the settings as described in his process. The traffic shaping I understand; we use Riverbed devices for traffic shaping in each of our global offices and it's still not perfect. But, I wonder with simple up/downstream traffic (video, NNTP, FTP, HTTP/S, etc.) just how much shaping I need.

In any case, based on the two WZR-HP-G300NH2 routers  now at revision 19154 which scenario would be best suited. I don't stream Netflix, Hulu, etc, nor do I stream music, webcasts or the like. I'm an old-school NNTP, FTP and usenet guy with a metric F-LOAD of storage and I run XBMC, with Sickbeard and Couch Potato to manage my shows/movies. I'm now on TWC 50 Mb/s down, 5 Mb/s up and am about to embark on an unfettered orgy of NNTP downstream traffic to catch up on shows I've been putting off for too long.

Cheers and much appreciation for your kind assistance!

Oskaar

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »

Well, mainly sticking with your original post, i would assign the room-mate's kindle fire a QoS rules only - you could leave your devices out of the QoS table altogether, from step 1 i would figure out the wireless MAC of that device, easy to find as it should be in your router's DHCP table, then i would use DNSMasq/DHCP in services to assign it a static lease, then go into QoS and configure it accordingly with the max up/down values for WAN, then add an entry for that IP you assigned into IP Netmask and assign that device to bulk priority, that will make sure when you have other devices using the internet, that the kindle device would only get the bulk of whatever bandwidth is left after the other devices usages.