Author Topic: Best DD-WRT build for WZR-HP-G300NH2 ?  (Read 8280 times)

Smmmint

• Calf
Best DD-WRT build for WZR-HP-G300NH2 ?
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:54 PM »

Hi,

I have just bought a WZR-HP-G300NH2 in order to connect VPN over ADSL for the entire house via the router. When I tried to install Astrill as per their instructions the command was not accepted by the router. I spoke with their tech support and they told me that I had to upgrade the firware from the 17xxx that it came with when I bought it to a 18xxx version (the tech guy told me not to go for the 19xxx build (available on the Buffalo website due to security bugs in that firmware).

Now I can find 4 different firmware versions on the net ( 18687 18740 18767 18777 ) and I am wondering which one I should use? I want a simple update via the webinterface and a stable running router that can handle Astrill VPN, nothing more fancy than that.

Can anyone give me a recommendation?

Is this here a safe place to download the firmware?

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/

Many thanks!

rchase

• Calf
Re: Best DD-WRT build for WZR-HP-G300NH2 ?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 11:01:53 PM »

I can't comment on which versions are more stable than which other versions, but that is believed to be a safe place to download dd-wrt. Indeed it is believed to be the only safe place to get it besides buffalotech.com. I'm not sure I believe the guy about the security vulnerabilities, though. Did he elaborate?

bluesjunior

• Calf
Re: Best DD-WRT build for WZR-HP-G300NH2 ?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 04:12:16 PM »

I have just updated my Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NHv2 router to the latest build ie DD-WRT v24-sp2(01/24/13)std-build 20548 today from Brainslayer. If your router is still configured with the original Buffalo firmware you will have to download both the files listed. First install the flash file to upgrade to DD-WRT then install the latest update (second file). Here is the link that I use for my router. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/WHR-G300N_V2