Author Topic: Are WBMR-HP-G300H-DE and WBMR-HP-G300H-EU the same products?  (Read 6162 times)

corrupted

• Calf
Are WBMR-HP-G300H-DE and WBMR-HP-G300H-EU the same products?
« on: October 20, 2012, 05:45:16 AM »

Hello from Greece.

I recently bought a WBMR-HP-G300H-DE (Annex B) and planning to use OpenWRT on it. But until then and since my line is Annex A, I wanted to ask if I can flash the -DE router with the current 1.78 firmware and if that will change the Annex from B to A. Are WBMR-HP-G300H-DE (Annex B) and WBMR-HP-G300H-EU (Annex A) the same products, with just the Annex as a difference?

Buffalo seems to have some very interesting products and I don't see the reason why not selling Annex A (-EU) products in Greece. Most of the users here, have PSTN lines in their homes. It was hard for me to locate and purchase the WBMR-HP-G300H-DE product. I found it from ONE (and only) store.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

realborat

• Buffalo
Re: Are WBMR-HP-G300H-DE and WBMR-HP-G300H-EU the same products?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 06:17:26 AM »

Ok, the answer is WBMR-HP-G300H-DE  is manufactured only for Germany, it has a different modem.

edinburgh

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 02:30:34 PM »

you can't use annex b hardware on annex a lines. at the same time, you can't flash an annex a router with annex b firmware and vice versa - you'll not be able to, and if you are, you'll not be able to use the router, as you may brick it.

annex b is used in central europe (germany, poland) and is for digital lines, whereas annex a is for analogous lines.

corrupted

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 12:31:53 AM »

WBMR-HP-G300H-DE and WBMR-HP-G300H-EU have the same modem.

And as a result, you can use the -DE product in an Annex A line and vice versa.

I installed DD-WRT on WBMR-HP-G300H-DE and changed the Annex from B to A, with these (SSH) commands...

# nvram set annex=a

# nvram commit

# reboot

Here are two screenshots...

Please... if you are not sure about a subject or if you don't really have the necessary knowledge... it is better not to answer at all, I think.

And don't scare the users by telling them that they could brick the router by changing the Annex.

edinburgh

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 08:29:27 AM »

fine. you're using dd-wrt. if you were to reflash using buffalo tech firmware, you'd brick your router (knowledge and experience). i referred to official firmware as: a) it ships with all buffalo tech adsl routers; b) some time ago, dd-wrt didn't work on these models (look for a thread about that on here); c) a user may not know or be familar with how to re-flash to dd-wrt; why should they? so, to conclude, the knowledge's here.

corrupted

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 09:42:08 AM »

The topic you are referring to, is about reverting to the original firmware.

So it's irrelevant for my case.

I made clear from my first post that I want to use the router with OpenWrt.

And in order to achieve that, I have to flash DD-WRT first and after that flash the OpenWrt image.

I am not interested in having the stock firmware.

Bought the device for OpenWrt use and just asked if the official firmware upgrade would change the Annex.

Of course I don't expect support for DD-WRT/OpenWrt issues on this forum since the product does not come with *WRT by default.

But I also don't like answers that are not based in facts but in theory.

And what exactly do you mean by "knowledge and experience"?

Have you managed to put the original firmware back into the device and bricked it?

I don't think so.

So how do you know that this would brick the router?

The problem is that the firmware is encrypted.

That's the reason why you can't revert to the original firmware.

But if you have a look at the OpenWrt source tree, you will see there are tools for decryption...

https://dev.openwrt.org/browser/trunk/tools/firmware-utils/src/buffalo-enc.c

Haven't tried it, but I guess that decryption is possible.

Anyway, I don't like arguing with you.

There are two facts on our case:

Fact 1: The modem is the same on the -DE and -EU models.

Fact 2: Annex is just a setting in NVRAM and changing it (in any case) won't brick the router.

Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H is an excellent piece of equipment and I'm very happy with it...

edinburgh

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 02:04:47 PM »

reverting to original firmware as ddwrt etc didn't work properly on the wbmr-hp-g300h. it does now, i believe, although it's still beta, isn't it?

anyway.

don't know where you got your info from re annex a and b on wbmr-hp-g300 - how do you know the modem is the same, if annex b is for digital signal while annex a for analougue.

you think the wbmr-hp-g300h is a good piece of kit? have you tried draytek routers? they cost a lot, but they're highly configurable (check out yourself on their web - live demo and compare with dd-wrt) and draytek has excellent support who actually care about their customers, unlike buffalo.

i used to think buffalo is fab (when i was on cable and now on adsl), but not any more - i'm a draytek fan now. sorry.