Author Topic: Slow file transfers between WZR-300HP's USB attached HDD and computer  (Read 2369 times)

JakeTheSnake3p0

• Calf

My average file transfer speed is 7MB/sec when copying a 10GB file from the attached external HDD (USB) to my laptop. Here's my current setup:

Router: WZR-300HP (using 'user friendly' firmware)

Switch: ZyXEL GS1100-16

External HDD attached to USB port in router: SATA (at least version 2). Router admin NAS page shows the following info: JMicron USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge, XFS formatted partition

My computer: Broadcom 440x 10/100 Fast Ethernet, SATA HDD (I don't know which version)

Cat6 cabling used throughout system

Various 10/100 devices attached to router (XBOX 360, my laptop)

Various wireless devices attached to router (my laptop's wireless...54mbps max rate, HTC cellphone...don't know data rate)

I don't know where the bottleneck is and I don't know how I can test it. Has anyone encountered this problem before?

JakeTheSnake3p0

• Calf
Re: Slow file transfers between WZR-300HP's USB attached HDD and computer
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »

Since I'm not being allowed to edit my 1st post, I'll add that the 7MB/sec is apparently decent for a 10/100 network device...however I'm getting that same rate on my Gigabit NIC (on my tower) as well. Since the router is gigabit capable you'd think that a connection between it and a gigabit NIC should use gigabit speeds...how nice.