Author Topic: WZR-HP-G450H wireless radio problems DD-WRT v24SP2 and how to flash to user friendly firmware  (Read 4140 times)

NK

• Calf

Ever since I changed from friendly to DD-WRT (DD-WRT v24SP2) firmware I've been having probelms with wireless radio disappearing.

Last week after even power-cycling the device multiple times didn't help, I bought a another (other brand) router, but today I decided to try to give it one last chance before I throw it away by resetting configuration to DD-WRT defaults and now it's working again. I don't understand how a DD-WRT configuration can work, and then later stop working (and now work again). The wired part of the device worked OK, but the wireless did not show up in my client at all even though the GUI said "Radio is on".

I noticed some posters had similar problems with the wireless component of this device and DD-WRT. 

1. I assume it's not safe to upgrade with newer non-Buffalo DD-WRT releases, correct?

2. How does DD-WRT-to-user-friendly firmware (1.86) procedure for G450H look like?

Thanks

NK

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP

What build did you install?

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

NK

• Calf

I didn't know there are more than 1 (in that case, why doesn't Buffalo change the name that appears in the GUI?)

DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (09/27/12) std  (SVN revision 20025)

ady72

• Calf

Same problem for me....

Any good news ?

NK

• Calf

No solution. I have been using DD-WRT. It hangs sometimes.

I may check if I can reboot the system every X hours (a bad approach for those who download, but it may free me from having to reset teh AP every day).

NK

• Calf

Today within space of 3 hours - light wireless usage and full-bars signal, by the way - I had 3 wireless outages each of which lasted about 30 seconds to 1 minute.

Every time I lose all SSH sessions and have to reconnect and re-enter all passwords (never mind the lost work). 

That is totally unacceptable. 

My current thinking is to try to go back to the factory (user-friendly) firmware and if that doesn't work or if user-friendly firmware exhibits any problem of similar severity, simply **bleep** the unit and buy something that works.

NK

• Calf

Okay, 

1. Try to switch to user-friendly f/w (1.86) by "upgrading" to it from the management GUI: "ugprade failed"

2. Try to downgrade DD-WRT to any of previous versions (currently available at ftp://188.65.163.247/): "ugprade failed"

So I reset the current firmware  DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (09/27/12) to factory settings and configured it again.

In Administration > Keep Alive I would set the darn thing to reboot once an hour but even that doesn't work properly as sometimes WiFi remains down after a reboot (earlier today I power-cycled the darn thing 3 times and WiFi still wouldn't come up - I had to connect via LAN to perform 1 & 2 above!). 

(Interestingly when WiFi is down and I'm connected to the unit via LAN the GUI is showing that "Radio is enabled" or something like that, although my notebook's - Dell Vostro v131 - doesn't detect it online).

I've wasted so much time on this POS it's incredible. I'll buy another AP and post reviews of this unit in appropriate places.