Author Topic: DHcP server or PPPoE server not found  (Read 7259 times)

bdsmith

DHcP server or PPPoE server not found
« on: December 24, 2012, 08:19:41 AM »

I had to have a new modem installed from cable provider.  The new unit is a Arris DG860 Modem/Router.  I wanted to still use my WZR-HP-G300NH Wireless Router with their modem.  The installer showed me how to turn off the wireless signal on the Arris, however, after setting my router back to factory settings and trying to connect we get the message no DHcP server or PPPoE server found.  After back and forth discussions with the installer, I was told that my router still has the old IP address that was assigned to it and I needed to get with Buffalo on how to correct this.  Any help in configuring the modem and router sure would be helpful.  I do have the login to the Arris unit in order to configure anything there as well.

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: DHcP server or PPPoE server not found
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 12:56:41 PM »

Yes, the problem we have here is that the Arris is a modem/router combo, so turning the wireless portion of the unit off isn't going to solve the problem. With this setup, turning off the wireless on that unit does just that, but it doesn't turn off the DHCP and NAT within the unit, what we'd need to know here is if there is a way you can turn off those functions in the arris, this way it'll work like a dummy modem and you can have the buffalo handle all of the DHCP/NAT/Wireless connections. I would look around in the arris config and see if there is a way to do such. If there is no way to turn those services off, then even if you hook up the buffalo you'll be double NAT'd which isn't good.

Or another option would be to turn off the wireless part of the arris, let it continue to do DHCP and NAT, and configure the buffalo to be a wireless access point only, so this way it wouldn't handle anything but the wireless connections of your network.

bdsmith

Re: DHcP server or PPPoE server not found
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:10:15 AM »

Basically, after looking at the settings on the Buffalo router, I managed to get it configured as a wireless access point.  I ended up having to call the installer back as the unit they supplied needed to be replaced and wasn't functioning correctly.  Now that I have wireless access working correctly, I can't log in to the Buffalo router to configure various settings like I did previously when it was being used as a router only.  Do I need to change the IP address on one of my wired ethernet connected computers to a different address not on the network, then login using the IP address for the access point?  Should I still be able to control all my devices, such as where I had certain devices that could have priority over bandwith depending on usage?