Author Topic: Sharing over the network issue  (Read 2110 times)

mojolarms

• Calf
Sharing over the network issue
« on: December 24, 2012, 04:43:51 AM »

Device: WZR-HP-300NH
Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (07/15/12) std

When I attempt to share over my network by means of AFP, SMB or HTTP between computers connected by an ethernet cable to my WZR-HP-300NH router, the connection cannot be made. If I change the client machine over to a wireless connection, the sharing suddenly works in all ways. In a nutshell, I do not have sharing capabilities on my network if both computers are hard wired, but if one is wireless, the sharing works just fine. During this process all machines have internet access.

I have tested this issue with Linux OS, MACOS and Windows 7 machines with the same result on all three. With the hard wired connection there is no sharing, with wireless on client machine it works perfectly.

I have done a factory default reset on the router with the same results with default settings. Also I have changed to the three most current and stable Firmware updates with the same results each time. I have also disabled all operating system firewalls for testing with the same results.

Specifically I am attempting to share streams over HTTP with Plex Media Server. I am also trying to share files over the network with SMB and AFP. None of these functions will work if both server and client are wired with ethernet. If I switch the client machine to wireless, whala, it works.

Is there a security setting that is not allowing the sharing over hard wired connections that does not apply to wireless devices? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Tonka