Author Topic: Home network - wired Mac & wireless PC  (Read 1489 times)

scj

• Calf
Home network - wired Mac & wireless PC
« on: December 14, 2012, 11:52:42 AM »

Seems like this should be so simple, but I've done my best and just don't seem to be "getting it". 

I'm running Mac OS 10.5.8 on a legacy PPC G5 and Windows XP SP3 on a legacy (vintage/antique) Dell Inspiron 3800 laptop. 

WZR-300HP AirStation connects to the Mac via wired ethernet.

The PPC G5 has an airport card but it's not 'n' compatible.  That's why it's turned off and the PPC is connected to the AirStation via ethernet.

Realtek 'n' wireless adapter connected to the laptop via a USB 1.0 port.  (Couldn't connect to a USB 2.0 port on my PC card as the adapter kept tripping the power safety on the card.)  Signal strength always excellent.

No problem with connecting the two computers to the internet using the AirStation, even though the laptop connection is really, really, slow (48MBS).  And yes, I set the AirStation to 40MHz/300.

I've done the "home network" setup on the PC and set the workgroup name everywhere I can find to do so to "HOME".  At the Mac side, I created a new network location for the Buffalo using the SSID and set the Mac's Windows File Sharing to "on" (although I'm not sure that's needed if I'm connecting via the AirStation).  The PC showed up on our PPC  (although I seem to have managed to make that disappear in my last "try this" attempt).  But the PPC has never shown up on our PC's network places.  It also didn't show up in the AirStation WAN/LAN DHCP client list so I added the PPC IP and MAC addresses manually.

Seems like networking shouldn't get much simpler than one wired desktop and a wireless laptop, even if we're talking Apple to Windows.  I've gone through all the downloads documentation.  I keep thinking I must be missing the obvious or just not understanding what I'm reading.  I'd be really happy if I could just set up a home network between the PPC and PC.  However, we also have a ROKU 2XS connected to our tv via the AirStation (why we finally bought a router) that's working just fine.  Would love to know how to add that to the network. 

Bluetooth Pan was a piece of cake but Noob is an understatement when it comes to networking via a router.   Anyone got "remedial level networking instruction for certifiable dummies".