Author Topic: WZR-600DHP VPN Config  (Read 5977 times)

hbholland

• Calf
WZR-600DHP VPN Config
« on: November 23, 2012, 03:28:50 PM »

Hi all;

I just purchased a WZR-600DHP router and am trying to set up the VPN. I'm a newbie at this, but want to use windows remote desktop to access our office server running windows server 2008. The manual for the router is terrible and refers menus that don't exist, and the help files are really not much help. I'm not sure if I need to set up the VPN pass through or just the pptp server and client. I've already got the DDNS configured and operating. Any suggestions for additional reading or tips on how to proceed would be very much appreciated. So far I like the router, although the wireless side is a pain in the neck to connect some devices with... Reserving judgement until I get the VPN up and going...

thanks

Stumped

hbholland

• Calf
Re: WZR-600DHP VPN Config
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 03:32:41 PM »

Sorry, forgot to add firmware version

DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (11/04/12) std
(SVN revision 20180)

The Cable modem is connected to Buffalo Router directly. The network server runs a DHCP server.

realborat

• Buffalo
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 04:59:04 AM »

hbholland

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 08:55:35 AM »

Thanks very much for the link and the assistance. However, in reading different tech sites I have since learned that the PPTP server route has some serious security flaws and that OpenVPN is more secure. At the risk of creating more headaches for myself I am going to try that route, so any links on that front are also most appreciated.

Again, thank you for responding.

Newbie.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 02:20:50 PM »

hbholland wrote:

Thanks very much for the link and the assistance. However, in reading different tech sites I have since learned that the PPTP server route has some serious security flaws and that OpenVPN is more secure. At the risk of creating more headaches for myself I am going to try that route, so any links on that front are also most appreciated.

Again, thank you for responding.

Newbie.

FYI: If you are a newbie then settings up an  OpenVPN ia probably not for you, however give the below link a go, good luck!

http://www.howtogeek.com/64433/how-to-install-and-configure-openvpn-on-your-dd-wrt-router/

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

hbholland

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:39:58 PM »

Thanks for the article. It has been very helpful. I do have a dumb question though. I've completed the configuration on the router, but am a little confused. I have a windows server running in my network that is the machine I want to connect to when I am remote. Do I run OpenVPN on the server and on the client that will be used to connect remotely, or do I just run OpenVPN on the client machine and the router takes care of the rest? I am unclear if OpenVPN has to run on the server machine as well.

The articles (there are several) are all unclear on this point...

Thanks again for the help. I believe I am close.