Author Topic: 2 x LS Pro's Succefully upgraded with Seagate 1.5TB drives  (Read 2192 times)

jones

• Calf
2 x LS Pro's Succefully upgraded with Seagate 1.5TB drives
« on: March 15, 2009, 12:52:45 AM »

Of my two LS Pro 500MB's  One Hard Drive was failing!  (S.M.A.R.T error)  and had to be replaced.  So I thought that it might be a great time to uprade both devices...

Fry's happend to be running a special for $135 usd on the new Seagate 1.5TB drives, so I bought 2.   It turns out that these drives when compared to the original drives use less power therfore less heat and are extremely fast, Unfortunately without a eSATA out the speed is of litte use..   

Had to use forensics software to recover the data off the original Failed HDD as The Linkstation Pro woruld no longer read the disk (ACM error).  Neither Firmware or Linux (Ubuntu8) would update or prepair the new drives.   Finally used a modified image (To except the new drive dimensions) of my only good disk to restore on each new drive.  Thereafter a firmware update and format was successful.

Now have Two Linkstation Pro's each with 1.3TB of free space..  :)

Message Edited by jones on 03-15-2009 09:37 AM

kevin

• El Toro
Re: 2 x LS Pro's Succefully upgraded with Seagate 1.5TB drives
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 04:28:47 PM »

Good to hear the success...

It should also be mentioned that this does VOID warranty and is not supported by Buffalo.

jones

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 07:56:11 PM »

I understand about Buffalo's policy but these units are out of warranty anyhow, however the awesome capacity I have now far out ways any negative impact from the lack of warranty..

:)

tanjl

• El Toro
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 10:58:37 PM »

1.5tb is alright.

I had mine upgraded to Western Digital 2TB hdds.

One for LS Pro.

One for LS Live

Four hdds for Drivestation Quad.