Author Topic: Time Machine setup- Newbie To NAS Issues  (Read 1522 times)

s2foster

• Calf
Time Machine setup- Newbie To NAS Issues
« on: October 29, 2012, 05:40:32 PM »

Equipment:  

LinkStation: LS-XL 3TB; Firmware: 1.62; OS: Mac OS X 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion); ISP: Brighthouse Cable Modem; Wireless Router: Asus RT-N56U dual band, connected on the 2.4GHz band. Software: NASNavigator 2 version 2.52

Setup:

My LinkStation is connected to the Asus Router via USB cable.  I have 3 Mac laptops, all running the same version of the OS connected wirelessly to the router.  I have set up Time Machine on each laptop and completed an initial backup by directly connecting the LS unit to the laptop.  I created a folder on the LS called TM-Backups and pointed each laptop to it (as TM creates a different sparsebundle for each machine's TM backup).

I connect to the LS via the same admin login for all computers and read/write access is set up for the backup folder.

Issue(s):
1) For some reason, Time Machine says that it cannot find the destination drive, even when the specific folder is accessible from within the Finder (mounted, with an icon sitting on the Desktop, opens and files can be seen in the folder).  It appears to be pointing to the right place in TM.  WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE SURE THAT THIS IS RUNNING REGULARLY AND PROPERLY?

2) On a sporadic basis, even with NASNavigator running.  the LS device gets disconnected from the laptop and I have to manually reconnect it via NASNavigator.  HOW CAN I FIX THIS AND HAVE THE DEVICE AUTOMATICALLY RECONNECT WHEN I RETURN HOME WITH THE LAPTOP AND IT CONNECTS TO THE WIRELESS NETWORK?

Please help!  I am knowledgeable enough to get this set up according to the instructions, but unfortunately, figuring out why it is not working right is a bit beyond me- so clear directions would be most helpful!!

THANKS!!!!!