Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300nh2 Enabled Logs, produces nothing  (Read 3812 times)

dun4cheap

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300nh2 Enabled Logs, produces nothing
« on: October 10, 2012, 11:32:30 PM »

I have 4 of these routers, 2 running stock pro firmware and 2 running ddwrt July and October firmwares. I have enabled logging for all connection tyoes, yet no incoming or outgoing logs are crreated. I have posted this in the dd-wrt forum but I have not really recieved any assistance. So I hoping that some of you can confirm if this is working for you or not.

If it under the security tab on the bottom.

Thanks,

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: WZR-HP-G300nh2 Enabled Logs, produces nothing
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 05:59:30 AM »

Same reply you got in the dd-wrt forum, you have to enable logging, and its not just in the security tab, those logging options are specific mainly to the firewall, but in order for those to log even at all, you have to have the syslog daemon running to begin with, and thats in the webgui under Services.

dun4cheap

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »

Buddee, Thanks for the response, I have syslogd enabled and I have nothing listed in the remote server, as I wish just to read the logs from the security section from the router for now. However, the logs are still blank, even after I have forces some incoming and outgoing connection.

Just out of curiosity sake, why is this not documented in the help section that this needs to be enabled. In any event, is there something I am not doing correctly? I have rebooted all of my routers as well.

Thanks,

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 03:49:10 PM »

Few things here, if you are running the unit(s) in question in any kind of linking mode (client/WDS/whatever) then your client unit(s) will not log anything, because those act as basically pass thru to the main AP. Its the main AP that would have to have syslogd and the firewall logging enabled and yes the firewall would have to be enabled, and it would be the only unit that could produce any real logs, and im speaking from my own expirience of this simular situation. I always would try to enable it on the client/repeater units and it wouldn't ever work, and i found myself scratching my head as you are now, but then i figured out that its the main AP is the only one that can do any true logging because its the one with the WAN connection and mostly the logging has to do with LAN to WAN and WAN to LAN traffic, and i mean a real WAN - like a DSL or cable connection.

And why its not documented is beyond me, i'm only a mere moderator in the dd-wrt forum, not a developer, so i can't implement this change..

dun4cheap

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 06:03:37 PM »

My internet on all three box's are connected to the WAN of the router in question. None of them are producing logs. port forwarding is working, for vpn, web pages, emails servers, remote desktop. Two are AT&T Uverse and one is time warner.

dun4cheap

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 11:24:14 AM »

Well this problem is still not resolved. I am unable to get any logging info from inside the webgui. Is anyone else able to get this to work?

redhill

• Calf
Re: WZR-600DHP same issue, Enabled Logs, produces nothing
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 07:27:15 PM »

Same issue with WZR-600DHP   Firmware version:   DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (11/04/12) std - build 20180

Also enabled Syslogd under "Services" and Log management under "Security" Tab... tried all different levels of logging in options, no log output.

Does there have to be a rule enabled in "access restrictions" for this to work ? 

I tried the additional firewall rules under "SPI Firewall" Tab, no difference.

The blank  logfiles below...

INCOMING LOG

Source IP     Protocol     Destination     Port Number      Rule

OUTGOING LOG

LAN IP    Destination URL/IP     Protocol     Service/Port Number     Rule