Author Topic: absolutely ridiculous: WZR-HP-G300NH2 gets comcast ip, but no internet  (Read 3684 times)

ing

• Calf

I have seen a dozen threads of comcast issue,  but my problem is unique that it totally make no sense to me.   The advanture starts when I was trying to replace Linksys with N300.

1.  I don't think comcast has binding MAC address,  at least my laptop and old Linksys router uses different MAC address,  they both connect with modem.  I even tried clone MAC into buffalo: no help as expected.

2.  N300 is able to get WAN IP address from cable modem through DHCP.  I can see the wan ip from the admin page.  Laptop can ping the WAN IP (e.g. 78.111.111.128),   but ping to the WAP gateway (e.g. 78.111.111.1) fails.

3.  From my laptop (and other devices),  browser connection timeout,  ping packets droped 100%,   but DNS lookup works: aka my laptop can dns resolve any domain name through N300 router,  weird! right?    It couldn't be my laptop issue,  I tried couple devices and with wireless and wired.  All these devices work with my old linksys.

4.  From N300 admin page, I can ping/traceroute any places and run "wget" to pull down web pages.   If you don't know what I am talking about: go to administrator ->  command line tool,  type unix command like ping, traceroute,  it WORKS,  is that weird?

so this means the WAN is in fact working properly,  but the router is blocking every internet connection from LAN.

5.  I have updated DDRT firmware  in admin page to latest version 19152 even I have no access to internet from laptop to external world.  Isn't that absolutely ridiculous?

6.please don't let me to recycle the modem,  router in a subsequent way,  I have done all of these steps dozens of times.  Router switch is on,  movie mode is off.   I also factory reset (firmware won't be reset though) few times.

ing

• Calf
Re: absolutely ridiculous: WZR-HP-G300NH2 cannot connect with comcast
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:26:14 PM »

some updates,  I believe the most mistake I made is upgrade online to latest professional firmware 19152.

I tried to install the firmware on CD,  it seems failed (downgrade not allowed?)

any way,  I am tired of this **bleep**.  on the way to amazon with returning label.

ing

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 10:49:50 PM »

I am not alone:   router has access to internet but devices behind router don't.

http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Wireless/WZR-HP-G300NH2-Can-t-access-internet/td-p/106218

ing

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 10:37:51 AM »

hi brian,  I tried two firmware both friendly and professional firmware on the CD,   it prompt me upgrade failed (because unable to downgrade from 19154)?

a little late,  the package is in UPS now...  thanks

dirkzwart

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 11:59:10 AM »

I have the same issue. User friendly works fine, but am stuck with limited features and sub-standard VPN in my mind.

When using the professional firmware, the WZR-HP-G300NH2 can see internet as it will check for updates and update my dyndns.org. All the computers and devices in my house can connect and share files amongst themselves, but nothing can access the internet. I have flashed back and forth numerous times trying with different configs of the Router On/Off/Auto switch and the Movie Engine on and off. I've tried with the inbound firewall off, I've tried opening port 80.

Any ideas would be welcome. I can send you screen shots, etc. I would really like to resolve this issue.

dirkzwart

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:36:52 PM »

I'm on the Friendly version now, but when I have time, i'll post anything of which I can get a screen capture (after flasing back to the friendly firmware of course so I can get on the inet.

setham

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2012, 05:42:43 PM »

I am having the same issue. check post http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Wireless/WZR-HP-G300NH2-Disconnect-WAN-Connection/td-p/110944

If you have time and can you check if simply removing the WAN cable and connecting it again recovers the connectivity? to try to replicate the issue and get closer to a solution.

Thanks