Author Topic: vlan(s) not working when assigned to bridge on WZR-HP-G300NH2  (Read 12013 times)

tr

• Calf
vlan(s) not working when assigned to bridge on WZR-HP-G300NH2
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:52:34 AM »

Firmware: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (06/03/12) std, build 19154

It seems to be bugs regarding vlan's assigned to bridge

Default settings should assign eth0 and ath0 to vlan1. vlan1 (and ath0 (?)) is assigned to br0 but eth0 must also be assigned (manually) to make it work as expected.

Having wan disabled and 'Assign WAN Port to Switch' checked does not work. I expected these settings to cause the wan-port to be listed as part of br0 but its not.

I presume that default settings should assign eth1 (wan) to vlan2. There is no eth1 so vlan2 must be used in order to assign wan-port to br0 but this does not work

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: vlan(s) not working when assigned to bridge on WZR-HP-G300NH2
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 07:36:30 PM »

There isn't any bugs, DD-WRT with Atheros units have no VLAN support that i know of, with 802.11q or port based VLANs.

tr

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 07:40:11 AM »

Ok but if 'DD-WRT with Atheros units have no VLAN support':

- why is vlan1 listed as member of br0 in default config then?
- why is WAN assigned to vlan2 in default config then?
- should not eth0 be assigned to br0 in default config?
- why is it possible to add vlan tags in firmware?

As mentioned, setting wan disabled and 'Assign WAN Port to Switch' does not work.

- If this is not a bug - how can I make it work?

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 11:51:28 PM »

The 802.11Q tags you speak of - have you actually tested them to see if they really work? I can set the tag to whatever i want and in dd-wrt it says they work according to the webgui, but when i actually test them it doesn't work, also as noted in the dd-wrt wiki for VLANs and thru testings on the dd-wrt forum (myself included) we found VLANs not to be supported with dd-wrt and Atheros units.

I mean for your unit - it may possibly work because you have a G300NH2 so this may be updated, i have the G300NH v1 and for it, my testings haven't worked and also an AG300H, WNDR3700v2, WRT160NL, WRT400n, none of them work with VLANs and dd-wrt. The only way i succesfully got any VLANs on an Atheros unit thus far is by using openwrt, but the problem there for you is that the G300NH2 is only currently supported in the trunk.

tr

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 05:03:32 AM »

Yes I have tested them and they do not work

I'm using 3 x G300NH2 to build a gigabit LAN

All of them runs in 'Router' mode and wireless as 'AP'. All switches are connected to each other by cable. They are also connected to the lan-side of a NanoStation M5 acting as internet gateway. I can ping the gateway from all 3 routers when I connect true the wireless interfaces but not when connected by cable. In order to get this to work I had to manually assign eth0 to br0. I pressume ping true wireless works because ath0 is assigned to br0 as default while eth0 is indirectly assigned to br0 true vlan1 and does'nt work.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 04:21:25 PM »

To me, it doesn't sound like you need VLANs at all, it sounds like you need to config the G300NH2's to be Wireless Access Points only, to do this, you don't need VLANs...

tr

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 04:33:12 AM »

Thats right and I think I discovered a way to do it just now

Assigning eth1 to bridge must be done before WAN is set to disable because eth1 is not listed in the drop box for assignment to bridge when it's disabled

(I can't test it because I do not have physical access to the boxes right now)

tr

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 06:13:15 AM »

Tested on another (new) box but found no way to assign WAN to bridge

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 07:48:08 PM »

Once again, you cannot assign WAN to bridge... that would require that you have physical port mapping (port based VLANs) which you do not have... Atheros units with dd-wrt doesn't support VLANs at any level, port based or 802.11Q tagging/trunking, if you're going to set this up as a wireless access point (WAP) you can only use the switch ports on the WAP, consider the WAN port null and void (disabled) at that point. You should not fret over this subject, and just use the dd-wrt guide to make a WAP with:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

tr

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 05:22:36 AM »

Your answer containes no new information - we agree on the fact that it's not working (despite the fact that you in your previous answer indicated that it could be working in the NH2 version)

'The only way i succesfully got any VLANs on an Atheros unit thus far is by using openwrt..'

The conclusion must be that it's possible but not in dd-wrt for this version of Buffalo
I've used different versions of Buffalo routers as a switch / WAP with dd-wrt for many years and in all versions it has been possible to disable WAN and 'Assign WAN Port to Switch'

As mentioned above, this option is also in the web-interface for WZR-HP-G300NH2. Same for VLANs.

Dead options in the web-interface should be removed to avoid confusion, misconfiguration and waste of time. They are also very misleading in what this box can be used for

'You should not fret over this subject.. '

Well, I'm setting up lan's for customers and do not like to leave a dead wan port on the router
In my experience it's always only a matter of time before a customer reconnects the cable to this port and calls for support...

Edit:

You did not comment on this:

'I can ping the gateway from all 3 routers when I connect true the wireless interfaces but not when connected by cable. In order to get this to work I had to manually assign eth0 to br0. I pressume ping true wireless works because ath0 is assigned to br0 as default while eth0 is indirectly assigned to br0 true vlan1 and does'nt work.'

Default configuration assigs vlan1 to br0 but will not work according to you

I pressume this qualifies as a bug then?

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 08:57:14 AM »

You can direct your frustrations elsewhere, i'm not the developer... Also i did comment, follow the guide that i linked, that IS the comment..

And yes your conclusion would be correct, i think i've already said it many times, ATHEROS WITH DD-WRT DOESN'T SUPPORT VLANs OF ANY SORT, and yes i said it might could be possible with the NH2, but as you already seen, you proved that it couldn't so there is your answer there.

You comments such as: "Your answer containes no new information" is no concern of me, you aren't paying me to figure out your problem, so be greatful of ANY help you may receieve, and i did post new info, FOLLOW THE GUIDE, i did not post that guide previous nor has any info YOU provided point to any reference that you have followed that guide. Matter of fact, i am trying to figure out now why i am trying to help you at all, hrm.. Best Regards...

tr

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 09:50:50 AM »

Sorry if I have offended you, that was not my intention

I have not asked for help but reported some issues I regard as bugs and thought this was the place to do so

Does anybody know the right place to report bugs?

Edit:

'nor has any info YOU provided point to any reference that you have followed that guide'

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

Long Version

3.Open the Setup -> Basic Setup tab

• WAN Connection Type : Disabled
  • (Optional) Assign WAN Port to Switch (visible only with WAN Connection Type set to disabled): Enable this if you want to use WAN port as a switch port

This is exactly as I have described my setup so either you or the documentation is wrong

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »

The docmentation is not wrong, its written based on broadcom dynamics because thats where all 3rd party firmware such as dd-wrt began, also notice at the very beginning of it says (optional) meaning its not required. The assign WAN port to switch doesn't work and is not going to work currently using dd-wrt, so you can either A) unlock the thought out of your head, and move on with life or B) buy a broadcom based supported dd-wrt router and then the option to assign WAN to the rest of the switches would work . I believe YOU are wrong and not me or the documentation, you started out this whole topic thinking you would need VLANs to create a simple WAP, which you do not, also you are saying things like:

"Assigning eth1 to bridge must be done before WAN is set to disable because eth1 is not listed in the drop box for assignment to bridge when it's disabled"  <-- that is never a part of the guide i linked, you simply set WAN to disabled, not assign eth1 to anything, so as i said, neither me nor the documentation is wrong, YOU are.

Also considering that the dd-wrt builds, be it buffalo or dd-wrt community, are in a perpetual state of beta, so i do not think you reporting this as a 'bug' will fix the problem, a non needed feature not working isn't really considered bug, its considered a feature that doesn't work, 'features' are all considered optional and not required for working operations.  At best, they would simply remove the tick box within the webgui and you would still be left with a WAN port that you could not map to the rest of the LAN. And no, i wouldn't consider a public forum a place to report bugs, most developers RARELY read into public forums, coders/mods/webadmins maybe, but not the main programming devs, most public forums i know of are just that, public forums where you report a problem, and non company tech support gather to try to solve the problem. You could try reporting the problem directly to the dd-wrt trac, but i seriously doubt you'll have any luck.

http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000

tr

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2012, 07:23:43 AM »

Regarding VLAN's on Atheros: http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/2024, Atheros router ignores IPv6 traffic from wireless clients

'... so the bridge between vlan1 and ath0 is working correctly.'

Regarding assigning WAN-port to switch on Atheros builds: http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/2312

Status changed from closed to reopened
comment:9 Changed 3 months ago by thunderbolt
This problem is still an issue in build 19519

(last build offered by Buffalo is based on build 19154)