Author Topic: WZR-HP-AG300H and Build 19154 Release - Is it time for me to upgrade?  (Read 10910 times)

humkar

• Calf

Just wondering how many of you have upgraded to 19154 Release from the 17798 Release. Also the problems or improvements that have occured from changing to 19154 Release.

miragefly

• Calf

Front panel Router LED doesnot lit anymore after update 19154 from 17798.

Wondering, have you encountered this issue?

humkar

• Calf

I haven't updated yet. I was hoping to gain some more info from other peoples experiences before I made the plunge. Isn't the Red light only suppose to come on when there is a fault with the router?

osocoloso

• Calf

Didn't notice any improvements from the "alpha" release that was available earlier for download.

- Still no "high power" output from this "high power" router.

- Still experienced random disconnects.

It's back in its box, and I'm back to my old linksys WTR-610N, where I have ZERO signal strengths issues, ZERO disconnects and I don't have to put up with crappy "user friendly" software to get the unit to work properly.

Great job, Buffalo.... please pull this garbage off the shelves or at least stop branding it as a DD-WRT router.

humkar

• Calf
I bought this for the "DD WRT" feature. Specifically for OpenVPN but since i have had it not once have I been able able to get OpenVPN daemon working. Im a techy so it'd be real interesting to see if anyone else faired better with OpenVPN daemon on 17798.

flashpaul

• Calf

hmmm I have a very stable router at the moment , I do get an occasional WIFI disconnect but it's only 

once a month or less.

So I will also wait to see if there is any benefit before upgrading

I know it's not a great solution but a PPTP VPN is trivial to setup 

I accept it's not as secure as OpenVPN but it's really easy to setup iphone clients etc

osocoloso

• Calf

Flashpaul, how's your signal strenght?  Did you have a router before you got this one? How does it compare in term of signal strength?

miragefly

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-AG300H and Build 19154 Release - Is it time for me to upgrade?
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 01:04:03 PM »

BTW, after flash to 19154, besides Front panel Router LED, it seems better then before.

here is some of the functions that i using now.

- PPPoE, good

- DDNS, good

- 802.11a(n) 40MHz WPA2-AES with MAC filter, good

- 802.11n 40MHz WPA2-AES with MAC filter, good

- Port forwardind, good

- UPnP, good

System crash/halt on 17798 when I was doing end2end  mirroring/replication (a pretty high loading 700~900Mbps). However, it doesnot happened again, at least 1 week already.

osocoloso, you may have some tuning on WiFi setup. TX power, Antenna Gain, Short Preamble and Ack timing are quite essential if you would like to get significant signal power.
 My Wifi connectivity is always perfect without any problem for my TV, laptop and cellphone.

osocoloso

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 05:17:29 PM »

"osocoloso, you may have some tuning on WiFi setup. TX power, Antenna Gain, Short Preamble and Ack timing are quite essential if you would like to get significant signal power. My Wifi connectivity is always perfect without any problem for my TV, laptop and cellphone."

Perhaps... would be nice if the router worked properly out of the box.  Would be nicer if Buffalo's tech support would actually provide some helpful insight on how to tune/setup the server, instead of just telling their customer to return it and purchase a better one from a different manufacturer (as they suggested I do).

I can't believe there would be that much tuning to do.  Old Linksys works great with no tuning.  Amped high-power router works great with no tuning (and great signal strength) but unfortunately does not support DD-WRT.

Miragefly, care to share your settings?

miragefly

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 12:50:22 PM »

I agree, I didnot do much work on my WRT54GS with DD-WRT (flashed by myself) before. It seems running better and more stable then AG300H, however it stand on old Broadcom integrated solution and low clocking also. I donot believe too much work on it would be required. Today, the factory version professional firmware is being delivered, when you choose this could means you may need put more effort the friendly version.

Here is my settings, the result might be vary in different layout of your house. Some trade-off are need to be accepted, all depends on your expectation.

And there are some reference documentation for the parameters.

dBm to Watt converter

ACK timing in Atheros

A simple explanation of antenna gain

Short Preamble necessary?

flashpaul

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 02:24:50 PM »

Signal strength is fine , I have a fairly small house though and mainly use 5GHz

The 2.4GHz signal isnt great but this band is crowded here , its good for about 40 feet max

I have had quite a few routers previously including the buffalo G450 

This one is the best  [apart from a buffalo g54 with external 4Db antennae , that covered most of the street!]

humkar

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 08:54:05 PM »
I think i may havevtobgive my buffalo itsbupdate then. i may reset router this time and try setting up openvpn from statch to rule out stale settings from my last upgrade. not beong able to make opwnvpn ia really fruatating me. :-[

dinoc

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 02:19:57 AM »

Does the wifi work at 300Mbps , in turbo mode ? Does the Status for Wifi show 300Mbps ?

axeman

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2013, 09:57:44 AM »

I am not able to get any device connected at higher than 54 mbps, even if it is a dual band device (playbook tablet, intel i5 laptops)

but, range of the router increased by a LOT, currently, i get signal upto 80 meters away!

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2013, 11:07:39 AM »

300Mbps works fine one the 19154 build (using it myself) Ensure you have WPA2 AES ecnryption set.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!