Author Topic: WZR-HP-AG300H Transmit power  (Read 52112 times)

KingJL

• Tatanka
Re: WZR-HP-AG300H Transmit power
« Reply #75 on: September 24, 2011, 01:32:26 PM »

derf wrote:

Thanks  I looked at the ubnt site  I wish they had (or i could find) a Dual Band unit :( As it stands I think i'll bite the bullet and spend the $88 on a NS-M2.  Now just looking at it I'm starting to lean towards the NS2 simply because it does have External Antenna Support.....Thoughts?

I have found that usually with external antennas with the m2, you gain nothing unless you are using a parabolic high gain.  The reason is that the cable loss and connector loss usually amount to about 4 db.  And the cheaper antennas that claim 6 - 10 db gain usually end up with less than the original antenna.  The only exception to that is the ubnt bullet m2 when attached directly (no cable) to a good quality stick antenna.  The internal antennas on the ns m2 have about 12 db gain (not insignificant).  Also the ns 2 has a MUCH slower processor and uses atheros 5k series radios.  The 9k series radios are much better when properly driven.  The 9k series radios are much more sensitive/quiet in receive mode.  Personally with the NS, i'd stay with the m series.

dis

• Calf
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2011, 10:08:46 PM »

I just bought: Buffalo WZR-HP-AG300H  ?

I noticed that wireless level quality are so so

Signal Quality level i had before this firmware was at around 20-22%

Are they planing to fix this issue, or i should return the router and get something else?

Thanks

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2011, 09:54:40 AM »

KingJL wrote:

derf wrote:

... SO my question is ....If I was going to buy a new Router...what would you suggest?  Do you know of any that are truly TX'ing at the 27dBi or there about

Like I have mentioned before on other forums... it depends on the purpose.  For a long range client, my opinion is ubiquiti (I'm partial to the nanostation m2 or m5).  With ubiquiti, stay with their fw (AirOS) as both dd-wrt and openwrt atheros issues still apply..  The ubiquiti routers are atheros based, but AirOS seems to work well.

For a multipurpose whole house AP, I've got my eye on the about to be released Asus RT-N53 dual band router (reportedly 28 dBm (2.4 GHZ mode g/ 26 dBm mode n).  The RT-N53 is Broadcom based using proprietary drivers.  Using the OEM fw should provide the 28 dBm in 2.4 GHZ.  Whether the power will be maintained by 3rd party fw remains to be seen.  The FCC report was completed Sep 20, 2011.   Asus seems to be fully committed to their router product line and and fully involved in insuring that they perform as spec'ed and designed.  Their fw is adequate for most users.  Broadcom based routers have a higher chance of success with 3rd party fw.  I am also looking forward to seeing the FCC specs for the much hyped RT-N66U.  They are not as yet published

The RT-N53 is still not yet available in the US market... but, the WNDR4500 is!  The specs look good especially in the 5 GHz band (better than the RT-N53, the 2,4 GHz band specs are only slightly lower than the RT-N53)... and it is broadcom based.

hotfortech

• Calf
« Reply #78 on: October 18, 2011, 04:11:35 AM »

Hi guys,

Just filed a ticket about the Wi-Fi performance problem with support.

Tried KingJL suggestion of using the "Friendly" version of the firmware and it indeed does improve the situation.

when using the pro version (17135) or the community version (17201) the transfer rate over wifi was 1.5~2 MB/s. when switching over to the Friendly FW they were when up to 8MB/s and above...

Lets hope this +1 counts for anything.

asur

• Calf
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2011, 07:02:20 PM »

KingJL, have you tried putting some higher gain antennas on your AG300H?

na21

• Calf
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »

hotfortech wrote:

Hi guys,

Just filed a ticket about the Wi-Fi performance problem with support.

Tried KingJL suggestion of using the "Friendly" version of the firmware and it indeed does improve the situation.

when using the pro version (17135) or the community version (17201) the transfer rate over wifi was 1.5~2 MB/s. when switching over to the Friendly FW they were when up to 8MB/s and above...

Lets hope this +1 counts for anything.

That is a huge difference. They really should? try to commit a change into dd-wrt by either contributing a fix or their driver.

Not properly supporting their flagship product is just really poor form. The first and last time i get  Buffalo product.

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2011, 07:36:50 PM »

No.  The internal antenna is ~3dBi (2.4G) and ~4dBi (5G).  A cable and connector would introduce  a 4 dBm cable/connector loss.  That is assuming that you could get some dual band high gain antennae.  If I wanted replaceable high gain antenna, I would get a unit that already had external antenna connections or built in directional antennae and had fw that would let you use the power of the hardware (which you do not have with Buffalo or dd-wrt fw).  Most of the high gain omni antenna that are available have as much loss in their connections as the antenna has gain.  I tested some 9 dbi omni antennae connected to a WHR-HP-G300N and had no increase in performance.  There was so much loss in the connector and flexible joint that any improvement was lost.  There are other (and probably cheaper) options out there if external antennae are your goal.  With the Buffal HP units, getting the firmware to support the 27 dBm power output would give you abuot as much improved performance as a 11 dBi antenna (8 dBm power increase + 3 dBi internal antenna).  Now with a ubiquiti NS m2, I can get 27-28 dBm power (AirOS fw) and 11.5 dBi internal antennae.  It all depends on deciding what you are want to do and get the right equipment to support the application.  Trying to make a square peg fit a round hole is not the answer.

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2011, 08:13:06 PM »

Not properly supporting their flagship product is just really poor form...

You don't understand... there is no router that is their flagship product.  Their flagship product(s) and commitment are network storage devices... not routers!

na21

• Calf
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2011, 08:46:53 PM »

KingJL wrote:

Not properly supporting their flagship product is just really poor form...

You don't understand... there is no router that is their flagship product.  Their flagship product(s) and commitment are network storage devices... not routers!

Highest end router then. Lousy support with routers mean I will look elsewhere for NAS products.

derf

• Calf
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »

Well i picked up a PicostationM2-HP.  The device pushes a sweet 28dBm with the RP-SMA connector I added a 14dBi panel to focus where I wanted coverage.   WORKS GREAT and as expected.

I will say that when I decide to upgrade from my WZR-HP-AG300H I'm going to stay clear of Buffalo.

I can't help but wonder if these Buffalo "High Power" *cough BS cough* units are hobbled due to the regulatory restrictions outside of NA.....Where we (USA nd CAN) are allowed to push higher signals for coverage most places around the globe are far more conservative.  If it wasn't for teh gigabit ports I'd be flogging it on Kijiji.  And like I sated eslewhere Buffalo should undrestand that people that frequent these forums indeed influence the purchasing choices of others

bknonix

• Calf
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2012, 04:50:15 PM »

All:

I know this is a bit later in the cycle, but just reviewed this thread as I was looking at the settings on my AG300H.

I just updated the firmware to DD-WRT - 17798, which was recommended to fix the DDYN issue and everything seems to be working better now.

Further, I was able to set the TX Power level from the default of 20 to 25 and saw my Signal Levels improve by about 10% throughout my house.   Should also note that I have both 2.4 and 5.0 networks running and I increased both of them.

So, maybe this was resolved a bit?