Author Topic: Wifi problems with WZR-HP-G300NH2  (Read 3875 times)

telijah

• Calf
Wifi problems with WZR-HP-G300NH2
« on: March 28, 2012, 09:28:18 AM »

So, after a couple hours browsing here and the DD-WRT forums, this G300NH2 seems to have the same problem for multiple people.

First, the details:

WZR-HP-G300NH2

Runninf DD-WRT v24SP2 build 17798

ISP - Bright House/Road Runn (Shouldn't matter though)

Devices: Home HTPC - wired and have absolutely no problems; however, my wireless devices which are a T-Mobile G2 phone and an Acer Iconia A500 tablet, both running Android software

When I initially had the problem, I followed the stickied thread on optomizing my wireless settings (switched to NG mixed mode, WPA2 with TKIP + AES). The only thing I didn't do was set the channel width to 40MHz.

So, the problem still persists, which is if I put any of the two devices to sleep while wifi is connected, when I wake the devices, the status indicators on the devices show I still have a wireless connection, but I am not pulling down any data. I have tried setting both devices to either keep the wifi connection active while sleeping and still the same problem.

Is there anything else I can do to resolve the wifi problems? I know the devices are not the issue. I have used both devices on two completely different wireless networks without issue, and I've even activated the wifi hotspot on my phone to allow the tablet wifi access without issue. Another friend has even brought their laptop to my place, and experienced the wifi connection problem as well.

telijah

• Calf
Re: Wifi problems with WZR-HP-G300NH2
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 10:12:00 AM »

Bump, anyone?

CueTheMusic

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:17:09 AM »

Try setting your wireless down to 11g instead of 11n...   Not the ideal solution, but see if that works.  I have a very similar problem with my PS Vita, but I'm using OpenWRT, and both switching to 11g or disabling wmm help.  Nothing else seems to work though...

telijah

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »

Thanks for the reply, but as you said, this is not a solution. I replace my Linksys WRT54G with this router for the sole purpose of going to 11n. I will still try this, but I will not keep it at the lower setting.

CueTheMusic

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:11:52 AM »

Yeah, it really sucks.  I'm having issues finding any decent firmare for this.  Gargoyle was working great for me (wireless n working with HP touchpad, two android phones, laptop, etc), util I got my PS Vita.   

With DD-wrt, the wifi kept dropping out, and the stock firmware just didn't work well.

telijah

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »

You mentioned OpenWRT, but I do not see the NH2 listed as supported. You said you had 11n working fine until you got the Vita? Which firmware were you using? I am still using Buffalo's DD-WRT.

CueTheMusic

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:51:14 AM »

Using Gargoyle 1.5.4.  http://www.gargoyle-router.com/

I think with the newest firmware, it "should" support the new switch in the "2" model:

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2461

Everything works for me, except the vita.

maddy77

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 10:06:51 PM »

A bit late perhaps, but I would like to share what I did to solve (3 days now) my issues with this router.

Firstly I got this router and set it up to the DDWRT firmware, I had no connection issues, then I started transfering large (4GB) files over wifi and my connection would drop.

The situation got worse afterwards where just surfing would bring down the wifi network (for all devices)

In the vicinity there are 30 wifi networks, There are 10 on channel 11 alone.

6 was the least used, so I change my channel to 6. (only 3 other networks) (although the 20/40 Mhz bandwidth settings will no doubt overlap MANY other networks)

I updated to the latest version of dd-wrt and still the wifi consistently dropped.

I tried adding a "g" USB wifi dongle and no dropouts.

This sounds completely ridiculous, but with my ACER 5536 (draft n wifi card) on WIN7, went to device manager, selected my wifi network card and selected update driver.

once updated it reconnected to the network and I disconnected the USB wifi.

Since then transferring 4GB multiple times has not failed.

for the past 3 days I have had no issues,

Streaming HD videos has been effortless, a pleasure to deal with like I had imagined...

Just my 2 cents