Author Topic: wireless access point and DHCP server?  (Read 1586 times)

philjeary

• Calf
wireless access point and DHCP server?
« on: May 15, 2012, 08:52:52 AM »
Hi all,
Just wondered if anyone might have a few pointers for a question regarding 2 routers on 1 network;
My ISP is virgin media cable.  It has a seperate modem, which is plugged in to WZR-HP-G450H.  That then has a cable going to the back of the house and plugs into a WHR-G300NV2-EU.
At the moment, the WZR has an "out of the box" configuration and the WHR is set to be a wireless access point.  As it then free's up the uplink port, I have things plugged into all 5 ports.
However, the WHR is plugged into a UPS and on all of the time.  The WZR isn't always on.  I would like the WHR to provide the DCHP service so even if the WZR isn't on (and the internet isn't available), I can still connect to other devices in my house that are on.
I was hoping that there would be an option in the wireless access point configuration on the WHR to switch on DCHP, however, it turns out that the DCHP options arent available when it's in wireless access point mode.
Does that mean I need to set both devices to be routers, but turn off the dhcp service on the WZR?  And would the only downside be that I lose the uplink port being used as a normal port on the WHR?
I dont really want to switch the routers round as the WZR-HP-G450H is gigabit and generally has more features than the WHR-G300NV2-EU (I would like to think that the £80 the WZR cost me provides better security than the £20 WHR!!).
Any help would be much appreciated.
I would have thought this might be a general configuration question, but if specifics are needed i'll post the firmware versions of both devices as soon as I can.
Regards,
Phil

shamurti

• Calf
Re: wireless access point and DHCP server?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »

Hello. This is doable but a little tricky. Is this still an issue?