Author Topic: Will WZR-HP-G450H be getting firmware updates for DD-WRT?  (Read 1802 times)

mkrzan

• Calf
Will WZR-HP-G450H be getting firmware updates for DD-WRT?
« on: September 29, 2011, 01:13:07 PM »

Hi,

I purchased my G450H over a month ago to replace other routers that weren't quite cutting it (features, power, etc) and I needed a slight boost to range.  Since receiving the product I have been quite impressed with the features/design, but now I find myself toying with it a lot to try and increase signal at range on it, and work out small bugs. I have tried the Buffalo firmware, but I prefer the DD-WRT firmware because of all the juicy options.  So my question is, can we expect to see some bug fix updates to the DD-WRT firmware or possibly even updates with new features?  Below I will talk about a few problems I am having.

Firstly, signal strength at range is my primary problem.  As we all know, increasing the Tx power on this unit effectively does nothing.  This bothers me because currently I can get a much stronger signal at range out of an old Dynex N-RUTER flashed with a clunky version of DD-WRT and the Tx turned up a bit.  I have also found that the signal seems to be slightly stronger with the Buffalo proprietary firmware v1.76 which leads me to believe that the Tx power is capped a little low in the DD-WRT firmware. 

The port triggering interface in DD-WRT seems very buggy.  When I initially set the unit up I added a few triggers for XBL and they stuck.  Now when I go back and try to add any at all (save changes, apply) it goes straight to "page cannot be displayed" and then I cannot access the web interface for about a minute.  I have tried different browsers, clearing cache and so on but the problem persists.

Another thing to note about the Buffalo firmware, at random devices will lose their connection and reconnect several times (every few seconds) for about 2 minutes, even under "excellent" signal.  This usually happens with only 1 device at a time, but has occurred with different devices.  Either way that's a large enough problem for me to not use the closed source firmware.

Thanks,

Mike

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Will WZR-HP-G450H be getting firmware updates for DD-WRT?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »

I have this unit and I do not have the same issues. Have you tried to re apply the firmware? I get pretty good range out of mine. Yes, this unit will be receiving updates to the DDWRT firmware.

mkrzan

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 03:06:18 PM »

Thanks for the response. I have not reapplied yet, I will be doing so tonight from the disc I got, I will update this thread if it has any change. BTW the ftp link to the dd-wrt firmware is dead >.>

mkrzan

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 07:22:12 PM »

Well I reflashed to the DD-WRT firmware and no change noticed yet.  Crossing fingers for a new release soon.

silversilver

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 09:43:16 PM »

Would love a new firmware build or details on when something might be coming out.