Author Topic: setup g54s to connect desktop to existing g300nh2 wireless  (Read 2200 times)

stromdriver

• Calf
setup g54s to connect desktop to existing g300nh2 wireless
« on: March 30, 2012, 10:35:39 PM »

hey all, tried searching couldn't seem to find anything quite what i was looking for

i replaced an old g54s runnign dd-wrt with a new g300nh2

now i'm trying to use the g54s as a bridge to connect a ethernet only desktop on the other side of the house to the existing wifi network being run by the g300nh2

i flashed the latest dd-wrt on the g54s and followed the directions in the ddwrt wiki for client bridging but it just doesn't seem to be working, i can't get the g54s to connect to the 300

i used these directions and another resource with a more simplified version some user had written neither seems to make it work, if i select wiviz on either router it can see the other in the airmap
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged

the g light on the front just flashes constantly like once a second

thanks in advance for any help

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: setup g54s to connect desktop to existing g300nh2 wireless
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 08:24:20 AM »

If i was you, and being that the g54s is a broadcom based unit, i would use 'repeater bridge' mode, read the dd-wrt wiki guide on linking routers and try repeater bridge. Oh and another important tidbit, which build number do you have on the G54s? and i mean build number, not date of the build which will tell me nothing. This tidbit will be important because you say 'the latest', well that doesn't tell anything and the newer broadcom builds have poor wireless due to broadcom's binary blob driver that they provide.

stromdriver

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 08:45:58 AM »

heya, thanks for the reply, currently using the last release for the whr-g54s

Mini Generic     dd-wrt.v24_mini_generic.bin     2010-08-09     2,89 MB

i'll take a look at the repeater bridge mode

stromdriver

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »

thanks, i got that to work after i found another helpful hint on the repeater bridge setup wiki about making sure that the wlan mac address was in my mac filtering list, i'd inadvertantly just used the mac from the sticker on the g54s, seems to be up and running now

hopefully it'll work better than the crappy lil linksys usb i was trying to use to connect to my network

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 04:27:19 PM »

Glad you got it working because you still never listed your build  number like i asked, matter of fact you listed everything i asked you not to list, the date, the file name, everything but the build number! LOL

stromdriver

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:29:51 PM »

lol sorry, i couldn't get the build number before because this computer wasn't hooked up to that router, and thats the only way to find it, i guess i could have dug it up and typed in in manually but now that i can access it thru the network lol

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) mini - build 14896