Author Topic: Best firmware for the WZRG300NH!  (Read 11474 times)

buddee

• Big Bull
Re: Best firmware for the WZRG300NH!
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2011, 10:37:48 AM »

For instance, here is a post from Aug of 2010 where you claim all this openwrt talk, and you are coming back into this forum recently as of Jul 2011 (almost a year later?) just now installing openWRT? Care to clarify?

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51532&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=510?

Also here is once again where you state "ubiquiti, buffalo, netgear, linksys, are the ones i know of that use ath9k as the wifi driver for their stock firmware on the atheros hardware they sell. info obtained from resprctive manufacturers forums.?"

http://www.dd-wrt.pl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77644&start=15&sid=c09470e088c8fcf8b97ffc4a19afa6b8?

Care to clarify those statements? Didn't think so...

I donate money and routers to the project, and read many posts, believe me, your posts are not going un-noticed so when you come out with such continual gibberish its being noticed...

On the flip side, you should try not being so negative about the products you chosen to use. There is nothing wrong with them and they will never be perfect, but as i told you in the dd-wrt forum, no one is going to conpensate you, so going on and on with arguing and negative comments is pretty pointless.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2011, 04:29:59 PM »

say what you will, majority of the people who use dd-wrt are experiencing these wifi issues on this router. as mentioned on the forums, for every 1 person who finds dd-wrt to be working fine, there is 30 people who complain about it not working well. the openwrt i used before was preinstalled on my cousins router when he purchased it from ebay, so yes i have previous experience of using it.

as for who uses the ath9k driver that information is also gathered from various other forums which i visit.

and since iv effectivley paid for dd-wrt on this router that gives me all the right to report bugs and issues with it on the router. if no one complains then devs will assume everything is working fine. thats not going to benefit anyone.

also ath9k is not without flaws too, i running openwrt but in G mode only on my wzr since N causes frequent reboots.

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2011, 10:15:30 PM »

Also here is once again where you state "ubiquiti, buffalo, netgear, linksys, are the ones i know of that use ath9k as the wifi driver for their stock firmware on the atheros hardware they sell. info obtained from resprctive manufacturers forums.?"

http://www.dd-wrt.pl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=77644&start=15&sid=c09470e088c8fcf8b97ffc4a19afa6b8?

Care to clarify those statements? Didn't think so...

Also the statement that ubiquity uses ath9k is not quite correct. My ubiquity bullet m2 (ar7240/ar9280) with AirOS 5.3.2 uses madwifi. The difference is that ubiquiti understands that mad-wifi does not properly controll the ar71xx/72xx/ar92xx and provides a on board programmed offset.

exerpt from ubiquiti documentation:

Because of problems with TX power control in certain versions of the Atheros MADWIFI Linux Driver, the SR / XR cards were purposely programmed with a power "offset" which causes the driver to think it is transmitting at a lower power level than it really is...

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2011, 07:45:59 PM »

kingjl how do you use the latest trunk snapshot of openwrt? i cant flash it directly to the router otherwise it just puts the router into a bricked state.

i can flash the backfire rc5 to the router no probs and it boots up. but i was wondering how to use the trunk snapshots.

thanks

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2011, 09:30:40 PM »

slybunda wrote:

kingjl how do you use the latest trunk snapshot of openwrt? i cant flash it directly to the router otherwise it just puts the router into a bricked state.

I do not use the 'latest trunk snapshot'... I build the trunk weekly for ubiquiti bullet m2, wzr-hp-ag300n, and wzr-hp-g300nh.  The only one that I am currently using is the wzr-hp-g300nh.  I never have any problems updating the router with this firmware.

slybunda

• Buffalo
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2011, 07:14:49 PM »

how do you update it? do you just download the trunk snapshot and update using it in the web interface? your not clear enough on this.

KingJL

• Tatanka
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2011, 08:14:32 PM »

slybunda wrote:

how do you update it? do you just download the trunk snapshot and update using it in the web interface? your not clear enough on this.

I don't know how to be any clearer.  I BUILD THE TRUNK!!  I followed the directions on the openwrt site to set up my own build envirionment, and followed the same instructions on the steps taken to build a target.  It is pretty straight forward if you carefully follow the instructions.

nareshseep

• Calf
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2012, 09:33:23 AM »

Just an update I am running Gargoyle/Openwrt since I made this thread and so far no problems, I have 3 neighbors, and desktop and a laptop connected to my router and so far no problems. The QOS on gargloyle works great, its easily configurable and allows me to throttle by time or by max data dowloaded.

nareshseep

• Calf
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2012, 09:39:35 AM »

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wzr-hp-g300h

NB

NOTE: More recent versions of the WZR-HP-G300NH have had a hardware change without bumping the revision number or changing the hardware label.
The newer hardware appears to have the rtl8366rb Ethernet switch while older hardware had the rtl8366s switch. As a result, this newer hardware is NOT supported in OpenWrt 'Backfire' 10.03.1-RC5 but it is supported in OpenWrt trunk since at least r28133