Author Topic: PLEASE HELP! Telnet only access to WZR-HP-G300NH2 (OpenWRT), Now what?  (Read 3206 times)

the_Willard

• Calf

I will try and stay calm and coherent, but I have been working on this for over 12 hours straight now.  I had been having issues getting my "guest network" to function properly and followed the lead of a thread found hereand flashed to a community dd-wrt build.  When that didn't solve my issue I decided to revert back to facotry Buffalo firmware.  I didn't realize, however, that the biggest difference with the WZR-HP-G300NH2 revision is that the normal "flash to 1.65 via dd-wrt webgui" method for the WZR-HP-G300NH doesn't work, and I was left staring at the constant red glow of the Diag icon on a bricked router.
I did manage to follow the steps found here to TFTP (via PumpKIN) an OpenWRT build successfully onto the router and I can access it via Telnet, but there's no webgui and I've never even heard of telnet before so I'm at a complete loss.

I just need to get this router from it's current utterly useless state of telnet-only openwrt to some form of dd-wrt or factory firmware that has a webgui I can work with.  I've currently got my PC hooked up and online with my old Linksys WRT54GSv7.2 on it's own DD-WRT firmware via USB wifi adapter (to save my one LAN port for connecting to the Buffalo if necessary, but I can easily switch) but I really need the Buffalo router up and running as my main gateway (Linksys was a client bridge on another PC) and I've only had the thing for 6 days.

I did see something about flashing DD-WRT through the OpenWRT telnet by setting up an ftp server on another computer, but I have no idea how to do that, or how to even plug all the necessary PCs into one/both of the routers so that I can use said ftp server.  Since I managed to get it as far as telnet access with minimally functional firmware I can't believe that it's completely bricked (or that I spent $65 on a router that's not even a week old and is completely FUBAR)  Please, someone, anyone, help me, I can't bang my head against the wall anymore.

the_Willard

• Calf

Actually, scratch the USB wifi adapter, my network is now back to how it was before I got the Buffalo:  Using a Linksys WRT54GS v7 as the only gateway/router.  My PC (this one, main) is connected to the Linksys via ethernet and the other PC is connected to it via WiFi using that USB adapter.  The Buffalo is just sitting there, not hooked up to anything, waiting to be revived...

the_Willard

• Calf

More updates:  So i managed to get into the open wrt ssh interface and install luci.  Problem is, whenever I try to initialize the https service by entering /etc/init.d/uhttpd start I get this message:

/etc/rc.common: eval: line 1: service_start: not found  and so I still don't have a webGUI, but I am making progress.  Any chance someone knows how to fix this issue so I can use the luci UI or just flassh a DD-WRT build through the open wrt ssh interface?