Author Topic: Unbrick Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H  (Read 4914 times)

Andreas82

• Calf
Unbrick Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H
« on: March 22, 2012, 07:20:37 AM »

Hi,

sadly I bricked my WBMR-HP-G300H by flashing a wrong image on the device.

First I flashed the dd-wrt image 'Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H: Special File for initial flashing' through the web interface of the preinstalled firmware.

Everything was working great, but I wanted to try openwrt.

After compiling the latest trunk version, I flashed it with the command 'mtd -r write openwrt-lantiq-ar9-WBMR-squashfs.image linux', after copying the file to the /tmp directory.

Things still were working fine, just as expected, but I wanted to roll back to dd-wrt.

So I copied the dd-wrt image 'Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H: Special File for initial flashing' to the /tmp directory and flashed it with the command 'mtd -r write BUFFALO_TO_DD-WRT_wbmr-hp-g300h-firmware.trx linux'.  I had to rename the file from the ending bin to trx, before flashing.  That was the last life sign I got from my router.

The thing I forgot to do is to strip the 28 Bytes header of the dd-wrt image with the command 'dd bs=28 skip=1 if=/tmp/BUFFALO_TO_DD-WRT_wbmr-hp-g300h-firmware.bin of=/tmp/BUFFALO_TO_DD-WRT_wbmr-hp-g300h-firmware.trx', instead of simply renaming it.

Now the router does not boot.  The booting LED stays red.  The system is not pingable.

I tried to connect to the router with a serial console, as described at <http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wbmr-hp-g300h>, but had no success.  IMO the system is not capable to boot at all, thus I do not even get a serial console.  The 28 Byte header broke the boot procedure, IMHO.

The only solution I see now is to JTAG the router.  I assume that the JTAG connectors are left to the serial port connector, as seen on the picture <http://wiki.openwrt.org/_media/toh/buffalo/wbmr-hp-g300h_inside_serial.png?cache=>, but I was unable to find any documentation about the pin numbering of the connector.

Is there any documentation available about JTAGing the router, or is there any other way to unbrick the device?

Maybe there is a much simpler way, that I oversee.

Thanks

Jotin

• Big Bull
Re: Unbrick Buffalo WBMR-HP-G300H
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 01:36:48 PM »

This is not not a product sold in the USA. You need to contact the support region where you purchased it.

edinburgh

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »

you better post your query on dd-wrt forum.

as regards pin numbering, it's in one of the links you posted: http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/buffalo/wbmr-hp-g300h :

A male-strip is on board to connect your TTL capable serial converter. PIN 1 is marked with a arrow.
Serial port pinout:
PIN 1: VCC +3.3V
PIN 2: GND
PIN 3: TX
PIN 4: RX
Use the following settings: 115200 8N1.

Andreas82

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 08:57:13 AM »

Thanks, but the pinning is for the serial connection.  I need the pinning for the JTAG connection.  I'll try to contact the german Buffalo support and try my luck on the dd-wrt forum.