Author Topic: Using a WZR-HP-G300NH to extend the range of another AP  (Read 3266 times)

baudilus

• Calf
Using a WZR-HP-G300NH to extend the range of another AP
« on: February 23, 2012, 05:58:24 AM »
I've been searching the forums for a while and still can't find the answer,so I thought I'd just ask. My situation is simple - I bought the WZR-HP-G300NH to replace a linksys that died. Suddenly Verizon FIOS becomes available in my area, and they install this monster router, and my Bufallo is left out in the cold. Since the Verizon router is in the basement, I have some areas in my house the are noticeably slower, although there aren't really any dead spots. Bottom line - I want to use the WZR-HP-G300NH to extend the range of my existing wireless signal. I don't want a bridge per say, just a wireless repeater that will broadcast and use the same SSID that I already have. Is it possible?

baudilus

• Calf
Re: Using a WZR-HP-G300NH to extend the range of another AP
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 06:05:42 AM »
Some additional info - I don't know if the Verizon router supports WDS, but I can wire the Bufallo to the Verizon router if that would be necessary. I'd rather not have to deal with multiple wireless networks if I don't need to.

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:08:37 AM »

Linking the routers to me would depend on which firmware you are using, are you using dd-wrt or the buffalo friendly firmware?

baudilus

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 09:16:16 AM »

Actually, I just noticed that the Verizon router is 802.11g - so I'll just disable that wireless and use my Buffalo as the wireless access point.

Artjohn

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 05:19:59 PM »

With a little patience and research, you can do this!

Follow these instructions:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/31576-the-best-way-to-get-whole-house-wireless-coverage

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-basics/30338-how-to-convert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

Connect the Buffalo by wire, lan to lan, from the FIOS Actiontec.

Disable the wireless on the FIOS Actiontec.

Good luck!

baudilus

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 03:12:12 PM »

Already done, and noticing a very nice boost in my wireless speeds (nearly double).

Thanks though!

le9569

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »

Greetings,

I do have the same needs but in my case, both routers are connected via wireless.  I can't seem to do the repeater configuration.  I, however, can do the bridge which I I have 2 DIFFERENT SSIDs.  

Is there any tutorial that show me how to configure REPEATER between these two routers?

Thanks

Routers info:

1. WHR-HP-G300NH:  

FW: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/07/10) std - build 14896

This router is set as MASTER

2. WHR-HP-G300N: 

FW: DD-WRT v24SP2-EU-US (05/25/11) std - build 17135

This router is set as BRIDGE/SLAVE

buddee

• Big Bull
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »

You need to connect the routers using client mode, then once you have them linked (test it with a wired machine to the client router) create a virtual interface for your wireless clients to connect to.

Follow this guide to link the units with client mode.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode