Author Topic: WHR-HP-G300N WDS working in one direction only  (Read 1512 times)

munchkin

• Calf
WHR-HP-G300N WDS working in one direction only
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:43:19 AM »

Sorry for the maybe not too detailed title, but I'm a little confused how to describe my problem in one sentence ;)

My situation is the following: My modem is on the first floor and I would like to have internet access in the basement, where my mediaserver is located. My house is sort of a bunker for wireless devices due to the mass of reinforced concrete used to build it, so I placed one WHR-HP-G300N next to the modem as the main router. Additionally I set up one on the ground floor and another one in the basement, so I could connect them via WDS to expand my wireless network to all the floors.

I followed this tutorial to do so, and mostly everything went fine. The only thing I changed is that I enabled DHCP on all routers so that everyone has a spefic ranges of IPs to assign to clients and I entered the main router's IP as local DNS in the WDS stations.

If necessary, the main routers IP is 192.168.0.1 assigning 98 IPs from 192.168.0.2 on, the ground floor's station's IP is 192.168.0.100 assigning 99 IPs from 192.168.0.101 on and the basement's router's IP is 192.168.0.200 assigning 53 IPs from 192.168.0.201 on.

So far, so good. Now I have internet access from all floors without problems and I can access my main and ground router from the basement, I also see the different routers being connected to each other correctly via the webinterface. But, what is weird is that I can't access the lower floors from above, means from the first floor I can't access neither the ground floor nor the basement and from the ground floor I can only access the first floor, only from the basement I can access all the IPs. I don't really get why and I'm not very happy with that since I can't access my mediaserver from any of the upper floors what makes it more or less useless at the moment.

Anybody got an idea how to fix this issue? Changing the DHCP to DHCP forwarding so that only the main router would be a DHCP server doesn't work, already tried that. Moving the mediaserver to one of the upper floors is also no option since I need it in basement to serve my WDTV live there.

erengifo

• Calf
Re: WHR-HP-G300N WDS working in one direction only
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 04:35:51 PM »

I have a very similar setup with two routers on different floors working on both directions, I would suggest to leave DHCP enabled on the main router only, it is not necessary to set the other ones as DHCP forwarders just leave DHCP disabled, that’s how I have set up mines and are working fine, as fact I have read on many forums that DHCP Forwarding and/ or having multiple DHCP servers on the same net will create conflicts even if they are assigning IPs on different ranges.

munchkin

• Calf
Re: WHR-HP-G300N WDS working in one direction only
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 11:33:00 AM »

Thanks at first, but weird, now it is completely freaking out o_O When I disable DHCP on the two WDS stations, I can only randomly connect to the lowest WLAN, most of the time I don't get an IP from the DHCP server. Even when setting static IP etc. it only works sometimes and also I can't connect to the lower routers, very strange. I'll try resetting all the stations back to factory default and setting up the whole WDS again exactly as in the tutorial tomorrow, maybe that helps.

I'll post again here if it worked, if in the meantime anyone has an idea that might help, I'd appreciate a reply here.