Author Topic: Compression  (Read 5508 times)

Auntie_Q

• Calf
Compression
« on: October 14, 2008, 12:02:05 PM »
   I am using Backup Exec on my windows 2003 server to backup the server to a NAS linkstation Pro Duo. I have been able to create the B2D folder. Backup Exec says that when backing up to a disk folder the destination software must do the Compression. Can the linkstation folders be compressed? If so how?

Paul

• Big Bull
Re: Compression
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:25:11 AM »

Auntie_Q

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 12:32:42 PM »
   Paul, the link you posted sends you to a page that tells you how to create aselection that you would like to backup. I do not want to backup the linkstation. I want to back up my server to the linkstation. I have made the backup-to-disk folder on the linkstation and have the ability to backup to that folder. The problem I am having is that I need to compress that folder which resides on the linkstation. If I cannot compress the folder my terabyte of disk space will be used up in no time. Is it possible to compress the folder on the linkstation?

rmchugh

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 02:22:04 PM »
   You can tell Backup Exec to use software compression by going to the template (or job), and in the left pane under Settings, go to General.  At the bottom of the right pane there is a drop-down box under Compression type that should be set to either Software or Hardware (if available, otherwise software).  This will use the resources (memory and CPU) of the Backup Exec server to do the compression before the data is written to the backup-to-disk destination.

Auntie_Q

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 03:57:36 PM »

I tried that but it did not work. That is why I would like to compress the folder on the linkstation.

Paul

• Big Bull
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 10:45:53 AM »
You can only compress files that are backing up from the LS pro to an external hard drive.  Also the buffalo unit is only capable of backing up to another Buffalo device using the built in RSYNC or to an external HD using the RSYNC software.

Auntie_Q

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 03:12:01 AM »
   Thanks for the info. I guess I will have to use this device for something other than backing up my sever. Anyone know of an external Hard Drive that actually has NTFS file format?