Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH2 - How to set up Media Server  (Read 5351 times)

Oskaar

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH2 - How to set up Media Server
« on: February 26, 2012, 09:37:34 PM »

I have set up two of the WZR-HP-G300NH2 in my home bridged to deliver good strong signal to my downstairs Home Theater Setup. I want to hang a Terrabyte USB Drive off the bridged router downstairs and serve up my large MKV files off of it. My equipment follows by location:

UPSTAIRS:

Router 1: WZR-HP-G300NH2 (Set as WDS AP; connected to the DSL Modem on the up-port ; and Gb connections to server and workstations)

Firmware version: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (10/31/11) std - build 17798

DOWNSTAIRS:

Router 2: WZR-HP-G300NH2 (Set as WDS Station)

Firmware Version: DD-WRT v24SP2-MULTI (03/21/11) std - build 16519

Ext HDD: Western Digital Elements 1TB Desktop External Hard Drive (USB) FAT32; Connected to Router 2 by USB)

I've read most of the threads on the forums regarding media server settings on the routers listed above. I have also read the posting guidelines in order to ensure that I am compliant with the rules of the board.

Perhaps I have missed specific threads, but I am not seeing any clear (read standard) approach/methodology for setting up DLNA on my router (Router 2 as described above).

When logged into the router, I do not see any options in the DD-WRT interface where I may set/enable media server. I have been able to setup the FTP server and successfully connect and execute puts, gets and other basic FTP functions. Based on that, I know the USB connection, HDD and router are all handshaking and passing data back and forth.

My questions are:

1. Does the external HDD need to be formatted in FAT32 or exFAT (I ask because I've seen this question asked more than once without definitive response)?

2. Where in the DD-WRT interface can I find and set-up the media server configuration in order to allow DLNA access to my Home Theater Equipment. (I ask because I've seen it mentioned that the "Friendly" interface may be the only way to do this)?

3. What, if any firmware tweaks are needed in order to set up media server on my router (Router 2)?

4. Is there any restriction on file size when streaming across the Buffalo routers mentioned above?

5. What if any role does the Streaming Media "Switch" (located on the front bottom of the router) play in streaming files across the Buffalo routers?

Thank you,

Oskaar

Oskaar

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH2 - How to set up Media Server - PING
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »

Hello,

Pinging the board mods/admins for some kind of response please.

Thank you,

Oskaar

Goober_357

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 08:50:29 AM »

Did you every get any answers to your questions?  I had similar queries; especially questions 1 and 2

Cheers,

Oskaar

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 03:55:01 PM »
Unfortunately I did not receive any responses. I actually took a different angle since the transfer speeds from the external hdd were pathetic, and it didn't make sense to hang storage off the router once I had my other DLNA appliances on the network and talking to each other. I've been reading around on the forums a bit more but I'm not seeing any real solutions.

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 05:51:22 AM »

The router with a USB HDD attached can be used as a basic NAS and/or FTP server but there is no dedicated media server (DLNA) functionality as far as Im aware.

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

condotta

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 08:03:20 AM »

I know this is an old thread, and the original poster seems to have found a solution, but I have a USB HDD attached to my WZR-HO-G300NH2 and my DLNA equipment (i.e. TV, Boxee Box, WDTV Live streamer see it at a media server.) see it as a media server.

I am using the "User-friendly" interface.  In the NAS section, under the Share Folder tab, there is a setting for "Disclosed to" where you can set the Shared Folder disclosure to Samba, WebAccess, Media Server and/or BitTorrent.  My folder is set to both Samba and Media Server.

Under the NAS / Media Server tab I set the Media Server Status to "Enable".  Clicked refresh, and then the router was showing up under DNLA on the TV's source screen.

The original post was about setting up a media server using the DD-WRT interface, but I would think if you can do it with the User-Friendly version, you should be able to do with the DD-WRT as well.The link below is the Buffalo FAQ for setting up Media Server.

http://en.faq.buffalo-global.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14653/kw/media%20server/p/1,2,3768,3769

I hope this helps.