Author Topic: WZR-HP-G300NH frequently dropping connection in client mode  (Read 1782 times)

EvanC

• Calf
WZR-HP-G300NH frequently dropping connection in client mode
« on: January 29, 2012, 08:22:31 PM »

Hello,

I am running a WZR-HP-G300NH in client mode wirelessly connected to a WZR-HP-G450H in order to hook up a PC which is ethernet-only.

The WZR-HP-G300NH seems to frequently drop the internet connection. I have to restart the router  in order for it to come back. The internet connection of the WZR-HP-G450H is perfectly fine.

How can I get started debugging this issue? I am running Buffalo-branded DD-WRT. How can I see what is causing the disconnection and what are common sources of this kind of disconnection?

Is there anything in the interface that I can look into in order to help me identify what the problem is?

Thank you very much

Artjohn

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G300NH frequently dropping connection in client mode
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:44:45 AM »

Which version WZR-HP-G300NH ?

If v1, flash to latest user friendly 1.76 firmware.  We have found that to be more stable than the Buffalo DD-WRT.  If v2 call tech support :smileywink:

Make certain the on off auto switch is set to off.

Finally, wired is always better, ethernet first, then ethernet over coax (MoCA) then powerline, then wireless only if you can't do the first three.

Good luck!

EvanC

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 03:27:29 PM »

Thanks Artjohn,

But my question is more one of help-me-help myself. How can I figure out what is actually causing these outages?

I would rather take a proactive approach to trying to solve the issue with the Buffalo-branded DD-WRT firmware instead of the awful 'friendly' firmware.

Artjohn

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 07:24:03 PM »

Unless the DD WRT open source firmware has a specific feature you really need, the 1.76 user friendly firmware for the WZR-HP-G300NH v1 is tried, tested, and true and does not suffer from dropped connections.

If you still suffer dropped connections after installing the 1.76 firmware, the problem is probably not the WZR-HP-G300NH v1.

If you must use the open source firmware, Buffalo Tech has a pretty good white paper above on optimizing wireless connections.   Read that first.

There are also a series of helpful articles at smallnetbuilder.com.

Good luck!