Author Topic: Problems with DD-WRT 17798 update  (Read 9170 times)

Derwinator

• Calf
Problems with DD-WRT 17798 update
« on: January 24, 2012, 02:35:12 PM »

Hi all,

I have a WHR-HP-G300N router that has been running the 17135 DD-WRT release for some time.  I have been experiencing the common problem of my wireless connection dropping out requiring me to reboot the router.  When I heard about the 17798 Alpha release supposedly correcting this issue I immediately installed the update.  However, I found that the problem only seemed to get worse with the wireless network disappearing at points and again requiring restarts.  I had to revert to the previous release before the my wireless network became stable again.

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my selected wireless security settings?  I'm using WPA2 Personal Mixed TKIP+AES.  Should I try a different setting?

Any advice is appreciated!

pshevtsov

• Calf
Re: Problems with DD-WRT 17798 update
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 12:31:06 AM »

Hello!

This problem is discussing on dd-wrt forums, try searching there. 

And take a look at this http://g300nh.blogspot.com/2010/06/temporary-fix-for-stuck-beacon-problem.html post - maybe it can help you.

Derwinator

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »

Thanks for the tips.  I've tried setting up the Keep Alive feature to automatically reboot the unit every day at 1AM.  That seems to have helped when using DD-WRT 17135 but can't figure out why as soon as I update to 17798 I see frequent drop outs of the wireless network.  Perhaps I need to perform a factory reset once I update?

jt81951

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 11:22:10 AM »

I wanted to mention I am having similar problems with the new 17798 firmware, though they seem to be different (and worse) then problems I had with the previous firmware.

Prior to installing the update... I would have periodic loss of wireless, always recovered by rebooting router.  I tried the keep alive script but didn't have much luck getting it to work.  Seeing the new firmware was available gave me some hope, but no luck.  I kept my settings for the firmware (maybe the problem?) but now the internet would drop too (not just the wireless) and I would lose access to the web interface also.  I was able to downgrade back to 14998 and now am back to where I was at least.

Buffalo, any other solutions for us?

Thanks!

Jeremy 

Derwinator

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:21:26 PM »

Hi Jeremy,

I suggest that you give DD-WRT 17135 a try available on Buffalo's web site for download to see if it helps.  I haven't messed with adding scripts to the Keep Alive but you may want to try rebooting the router daily.  This relies on having Cron enabled under the Management tab and having the clock running with the correct time.  So far, I haven't found anything that helps with running the DD-WRT 17798 release on this router.

Thanks,

Darren

nchall

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 01:26:53 PM »

Install OpenWrt and never buy another Buffalo product again. That's what I'm doing:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/snapshots/trunk/ar71xx/openwrt-ar71xx-generic-whr-hp-g300n-jffs2-factory.bin

If you are already on the professional firmware you can flash this through the firmware upgrade option in dd-wrt. Probably a good idea to read up on how to configure OpenWrt after first boot before you flash as it is a little different than the other firmwares. As I said, I've done this and everything is working well so far.

Pity Buffalo/DD-WRT do such a terrible job supporting this router and force the users to be beta testers. Will never buy another product from them again.

Derwinator

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 04:54:00 PM »

I'm almost at the point where I want to dump my Buffalo router and get something else that is reliable.  I really like the range of their high power series.  Anybody have recommendations for a wireless router that handles +1000 ft distances well?

dtemp

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 11:40:15 PM »

Anyone have any info on what is going on inside Buffalo with this issue? Are they aware? Are they testing builds that fix the problem? Is there a version coming out in days/weeks/months that will fix this issue? I just had to turn off the radio on my buffalo and plug in my old WAP54G which can't even handle my 30mbps internet connection, but at least I don't have to power cycle the router every 2 hours.

dyounkin

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »

I was having the same issue with this build for my routers.

1.)Turn on logging Services-->System Log enable syslogd and leave remote server blank

2.)Go to Administration-->Commands paste this code in and click run

nvram set rc_startup='while sleep 57; do if grep ^"`date  +"%b %e %H:%M"|cut -c1-11`" /var/log/messages|fgrep ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff > /dev/null ; then ifconfig ath0 down; sleep 4; ifconfig ath0 up; logger "wifi hang, restarting"; sleep 542; fi; done'

This will only restart the ath0(2.4GHz radio) If you are using the 5GHz radio simply change the ath0-->ath1. This is a one time thing.

Resource:http://dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Buffalo_WZR-HP-G300NH

Derwinator

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2012, 01:02:36 PM »

Hmmm....interesting.  What exactly does this script do?  Can I assume that this fixed your problem with your routers?

dyounkin

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 12:07:13 PM »

This script reads the logs looking for a ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff mac address which is reported as a bad connection. Then resets the radio to re-establish the connection. 

Yes this fixed my issues or at least they come up with a better firmware for this device.

(35 routers programed to be AP's)

Derwinator

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »

OK - I'm giving this a go.  I am wondering if I need to save it as a startup script or just execute it as a command once?  Also, is there a simple way to review the syslog once I've enabled it so I can see if it's catching the problem?

Thanks,
Darren 

dyounkin

• Calf
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 01:08:47 PM »

"run commands"

dyounkin

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 01:36:27 PM »

1.)To reveiw log you will need to enable "sshd"

Services-->Secure Shell-->

SSHD: enable

ssh tcp forwarding: disable

password login: enable

port: 22

Authorized keys: (type in a password)

2.) Reboot router

3.) download a program called "putty" (free command based telnet and ssh software)

4.) Login to the router using ssh

host name: (Ip of the router)

port: 22

SSH radial button selected

click open

login as: root

root@(ip of the router)'s password: (password/key used in step 1)

5.) type "cd /tmp/var/log" (remove quotes)

6.)type "vi messages" (or the next file the longer the syslog has been enabled)

7.) read the log and close

dyounkin

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 02:28:09 PM »

Any updates?:smileymad: