Author Topic: WZR-HP-G450H Range is tbh rubbish  (Read 1639 times)

ditman

• Calf
WZR-HP-G450H Range is tbh rubbish
« on: January 14, 2012, 01:14:38 PM »

Hi,

OK, I've now spent many hours on this router ... all wasted

My previous setup was a 3 year old DLink DSL-2740R which streamed videos to my bedroom upstairs fine.  We live in a 2 bedroom terrace house so it's not large.

But I bought this router with the hope to get a better signal there, but this hasn't happened.

I can't use the DD-WRT firmware because I haven't been able to connect the xbox wirelessly to the network, so I use the latest Buffalo firmware, this let me connect it straight away.  Although within the lounge speed is quicker, this doesn't help without range.

I've tested movies .. not HD, probably 720P or lower.  Streams fine with old router, but pauses every 4 seconds with new router.  I've checked signal strength with my android app, it's lower, throughput is about half compared to the old router

This to me is unacceptable for a £85 450Mbps High Power router.

I've tried everything to get working but I haven't managed, it's depressing and frustrating

My job is in IT so I'm not clueless about this area, but .. this has just got me ...

I just hope my reseller will take it back

D

Edit : Just to add to this, I've just tested a TP-Link WL-WR1043nd router, same setup, streaming the same video to my XBox and its better.  This router is half the price

drmemory

• Big Bull
Re: WZR-HP-G450H Range is tbh rubbish
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 02:04:57 PM »

Have you called your local Support team to assist with set up?

ditman

• Calf
Re: WZR-HP-G450H Range is tbh rubbish
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 10:36:59 AM »

Hi, no I didn't call Buffalo in the UK

I'll be honest I didn't think I needed to as everything was working, just the signal wasn't strong enough to get to where I wanted it and I only have about 5 other SSID's in range, 1 that was on the same channel as me.

I did try many things before making that decision though it's just nothing I did managed to get the signal strong enough to be able to stream a 720p movie diagnally upstairs with a distance as the bird flies of about 5 or 6 meters max when the other mentioned routers could do it.

Hey ho, I await for the slightly more expensive RT-N66U to be available in the UK