Author Topic: Wireless drop out on WBMR-HP-G300H  (Read 9531 times)

dr-paj

• Calf
Wireless drop out on WBMR-HP-G300H
« on: December 28, 2011, 08:12:51 AM »

Hi - I am having intermittent dropouts on my wireless connections to my WBMR-HP-G300H. I have several wired devices in the house, and they maintain connectivity - including internet. But from time to time, the various wireless devices lose connectivity. When it happens, it hits all the wireless devices at once - so I know it's not the clients.

I have two SSIDs set up - one using mixed security, the other for guests uses AES and has the separate feature enabled.

When the problem occurs, if I reset the router, it comes back to life and the wireless devices connect without a problem - until the next time!

Any help would be appreciated.

edinburgh

• Calf
Re: Wireless drop out on WBMR-HP-G300H
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »

do your clinets' modes match those specified in the router's setup, i.e. laptop b/g vs. router's n mode.

dr-paj

• Calf
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 06:18:38 PM »

Thanks. I'll check - gut reaction is that I think they do. Certainly the iphone and ipad that I use both do and I think the laptops will as well. Given that when it goes down, it takes all of the clients with it at the same time, it seems that the problem would need to be the sort of thing where one device manages to crash it for the rest.

dr-paj

• Calf
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 04:01:29 AM »

There is a mix. Two of the laptops are n-type, but one is older and is a g - and there's a g-type network card in an older XP-based desktop that my son uses.

Am I right in thinking that the idea is that the n-type network falls back to g-type if and when a g-type device connects?

edinburgh

• Calf
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 05:58:22 AM »

yes, you're right, but if you select the mode as 'n-only', or 'b/g' only, you'll have a problem. select 'b/g/n' for both types of network and see if the problem still occurs.

dr-paj

• Calf
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:11:27 AM »

I didn't realise I could configure that option. Do you know where it is in the control interface? As things stand, I have it set to auto on the bandwidth and to autoselect the channel. Other than that, I can't see any parameter to gear shift the network down to g-type - certainly not to do it independently for different SSIDs.

Thanks for your willingness to help!

edinburgh

• Calf
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »

Apologies - I was looking at the setup of a different router that I also have (TP-LINK W8960). The Buffalo one doesn't let you choose g vs. n modes.

The only thing I can think of is changing encryption to some older standards (WEP) and lowering the bandwith to 20MHz. Either way, you should consider experimenting with one SSID only and then add more.

felipec

• Calf
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »

I am having exactly the same problem. I just bought the device and it's mostly pristine settings. I just have one SSID, and it's completely open.

Looks like an obvious problem on the firwmare, but there's no updates.

justinb

• Calf
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »

This appears to be the same problem as I have had: http://forums.buffalotech.com/t5/Wireless/WZR-HP-G300NH2-loses-connection-with-802-11n/td-p/85517

although I have a WZR-HP-G300NH2 router. Unfortunately, the only "fix" I have is to turn off N mode (and use B/G mixed).

felipec

• Calf
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 07:25:05 AM »

There is no way to disable 'n'.

I've been experimenting and so far it looks like disabling WPS does the trick. It's really annoying not having an answer from Buffalo when their product is clearly broken.

propolis

• Calf
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 02:18:56 PM »

Having the same problems with wireless dropouts

Xapeck

• Calf
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 05:00:23 AM »

Annoying problem indeed.. I'm not happy with the product at the moment :(

Restarting the modem several times per day is not acceptable "fix" :/

davo

• Really Big Bull
  • VIP
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 07:18:40 AM »

Xapeck wrote:

Annoying problem indeed.. I'm not happy with the product at the moment :(

Restarting the modem several times per day is not acceptable "fix" :/

Then how about posting some useful information about the problem like the firmware, how many/types of PCs you are using, the types of WLAN cards/drivers you are using. channels. bandwidth, encryption IE, what have you done to actually try and SOLVE the issue???????????????

PM me for TFTP / Boot Images / Recovery files  LSRecovery.exe file.
Having network issues? Drop me an email: info@interwebnetworks.com and we will get it fixed!

charlesrr

• Calf
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 05:34:57 PM »

Same problem here. It used to be fine but now I'm having to reset once a day at random times. No change in location of router or setup. It's nailed to a channel that is in between the neighbours' (6). They are on 1 or 11. I have tried limiting the encryption to various combinations of WPA1/2 and TKIP/AES and also mixed modes. Nothing I do seems to work. Eventually the router kicks various devices off and refuses to give them back an IP (DHCP is on). I have a mix of N and G in the house. I tried resettting to factory defaults but problem persists. Apart from this issue, a great router :( Power cycling fixes the problem until some random time later typically within a day or two.

charlesrr

• Calf
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 05:52:43 PM »

And some extra info, I've just tried setting the router to WPA and TKIP. My squeezebox merrily detected the change from wpa2 to wpa and asked me for the new wpa password. However, my windows8 laptop refused to believe this and detected it as wpa2-N (but wireless N is not supported by WPA TKIP I believe?). I power cycled the laptop but it still detected it as wpa2-N. I told it to forget this router. When it searched it found the "new" router but still reported it as WPA2. I had to manually change the settings to WPA-TKIP on the laptop before it would connect. It now reports it is connected as WPA-TKIP-G which is what I'd expect. I'll time it to the next dropout if I notice