Author Topic: A very newbie query about wireless setup  (Read 2501 times)

fpowl

• Calf
A very newbie query about wireless setup
« on: July 22, 2015, 01:56:20 PM »
I have an Air Station Nfiniti WZR-HP-AG300H--an older model that I'm trying to put in service to replace a naughty competitor. I can connect wirelessly with my laptop from a few feet away, but not with my desktop about 40 feet away. Nor with my Samsung tablet a few feet away, or my iPhone. I'm using the encryption key pasted on the side of the router as the password, but it won't connect wirelessly. It WILL connect if I run Ethernet cables from the router to my desktop. Eventually, I'd like to change the encryption key/password to something I can remember, but for now the printed key doesn't even work (except on that nearby laptop). Can somebody please help me get on wirelessly? Thanks.
Fred Powledge
Windows 7. Desktop built by SWS Computers, Tucson.
6G of memory.

Texturtle

• Administrator
  • RAID is NOT a substitute for a good backup
Re: A very newbie query about wireless setup
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 08:54:21 AM »
From a system that's connected via ethernet cable, access the GUI on the router and change the SSID and/or encryption key to something that's easier for you to remember, then reboot the router.

Typically if one device will connect wirelessly and others will not I'm inclined to believe that the problem lies with the device, but with so many devices having a problem I would change the router settings and test again.